Thread: Lighting blends

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Lighting blends

I have been working on my digital skills and maps for about 2 months now after a long layoff. I have reached a good level of proficiency for my purposes but I am always looking to improve. My current hurdle is how to make the change between light and dark look natural across a large space. I like the look of using a low opacity layer of black to create the nighttime effect and then layer lights above it, eventually thinning or deleting spaces form the night layer. This looks good when centered around the light but across a wide area I keep having what looks like a very artificial line separating lit from dark. I've tried using different brushes and blends but it always looks wonky. Any tips or suggestions? The map below was my latest. I like all the effects except where the warehouse's main lights are off and the border is a wobbly line of light and dark.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Warehouse Tactical FLat.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	103749  

I personally, rather like the contrast between the light and the dark. The light places really pop off the image. I wish I could give you advice, but I only use archaic tools to create my maps. (pencil, pen, watercolor, etc.)
    ~ whisper

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

As did I until about two months ago. They are not archaic they are classic and while i have seen many a beautiful map on this site nothing compares to the feel of opening one in my hands, pouring over every ink coated inch, soaking up all the potential in a land unknown.. its why I have been a very amateur map maker since highschool some 25 years ago. everything maps represent bring joy to my heart.