Thread: Tall order: free, high res hand drawn map elements

Default Tall order: free, high res hand drawn map elements

Yeah, so this may be a tall order, but does anyone know of any free for commercial use, high res map elements for creating maps with a hand drawn look?
    Webmaster and head designer of The World of Farland: A World conquered by evil and ruled by the Lords of Sin.

www.farlandworld.com

The only large collection of mapping elements that I can think of, Farland, are ones that I believe you already have - the CSUAC and Dundjinni archives? All those available on the Vintyri webpage. I know not many of them have that hand drawn flavour to them, being largely photorealistic in nature, but I haven't seen them all.

Other than that, hand drawn symbols and such are available in scattered patches and in various styles in the threads of the Mapping Elements forum, right here.

Maybe someone else knows of a better free source

Purchased sources include Profantasy's symbol sets, but I think you have to buy CC3+ before you can buy and use the extra symbol sets. However, if you buy CC3+ and the symbols sets I don't think there are any rules preventing you from using the symbols in GIMP or PS (as long as you don't redistribute the symbols 'as-is' but only use them in your maps). They are, after all, PNG files.

Though I don't have any of the extra symbol sets myself (since I rely mainly on the core symbols contained within CC3, and do a lot of my own drawing anyway), I can only say that I believe many of the more recent symbols were drawn by Schley.

I know Chashio had been working on some, but not sure where she is at with those.
    I am also not sure if it was to be free for commercial use or not.
    Also not sure what she would be charging for them.
    I've seen some that she made and they are very cool.

Thanks for the detailed reply, Mouse friend.

And thanks, J. Edward. We cross posted.

You can also check those drawn by Gogots (he's nominated for best gaming map Atlas Award) but these are not for commercial use. Maybe contact him about it, they're amazing !

Wow, those are great!