Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing username

What key do you have to hit on a UK English keyboard to get one of those accented 'e's?

Thanks Rob A

It generally depends on your operating system, as well as what keyboard language profiles you're using with it and (sometimes) more details about the physical keyboard itself. If I recall you're on Windows 10, Mouse? From looking it up it seems you can bring up the onscreen touch keyboard and use that (doesn't actually require a touchscreen) to get accented versions of a character by clicking and holding down the character in question (disclaimer: this is just stuff I looked up as I'm not on a Windows 10 machine myself). There are a number of other options, but that is among the more straightforward that I could find.

There tends not to be a great way to quickly enter characters that don't normally appear in the current keyboard language solely using a physical keyboard - in many cases for that there's some method by which you need to enter the unicode representation which is always a bit cumbersome compared to just typing characters in the normal manner. Windows has had a method by which you can hold down ALT and type the four-digit Unicode representation for the character you want, but that requires you use the number pad on the keyboard with Num Lock on (and thus the physical keyboard must have a separate numpad, and not all do) and also means you need to look up the Unicode character values for each accented character you want, which can be somewhat tedious.

I'm speaking from my background on a US English keyboard, so it is possible the UK English keyboard profile(s) have some additional functionality built-in for certain accented characters, but I'd be surprised if that was true of very many such characters even if it is the case.

I still don't know how to get one of those special e's, so you may get the old spelling from me if I'm in too much of a hurry to try copying things that are also links. (I usually end up accidentally following the link)

Sorry Azélor!

EDIT: ninjad by AzureWings

That's just way too complicated for me! Sorry *sheepish smile*

I'm trying to work out how to get into my dictionary and delete the added word Azelor, and then into my autocorrect so that typing Azelor makes it autocorrect to Azélor

(its a copy and paste for now, but keeps autocorrecting itself back to Azelor when I use a space after it)
    Last edited by Mouse; 02-05-2018 at 09:24 PM.

It's ok if you spell my name without the accent Mouse!
    I understand that many don't have them on their keyboard.
    in French, my keyboard has a key just for the é because it is used a lot.

éčęëç

I used to write in Chinese using the letter and a number after like
    ma3 = mǎ
    I don't have that accent on my keyboard so I understand you.
    Last edited by Azélor; 02-05-2018 at 09:32 PM.

But... but... but...

It matters to me

I'll work it out, and then I'll describe it to others

Well, I can do it in Word on my machine, but I can't seem to delete a word I've added to whatever dictionary I'm using when I write in one of these comment boxes - unless someone can help with that?

What browser are you using?

At the moment I'm logged into Win 10, so its Edge.

I haven't managed to get back online in Linux, which for me is still in a mess because of this Intel update (its the Win 10 patch for it that's allowed me to get back online). If I could get it to work I'd be using Firefox there.

For Edge, it seems you need to manually edit the file where custom addition words get stored (which is really not ideal, but there's not much to be done about it). User custom dictionary words are stored in a file located at \Users\(your username)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Spelling\en-GB\default.dic . Although the file extension may be unfamiliar, it should be editable in Notepad like a normal text file; the contents should be a series of one word per line, each of which will be a custom word that was added to the dictionary at some point. If you find 'Azelor' in that file and change it to 'Azélor' in Notepad and save it, that should be sufficient to change the auto-correction behavior.

The AppData folder is hidden, so note that navigating there visually through File Explorer will require checking the box to show hidden files under the view tab. Also note that the folder with the name 'en-GB' is dependent on the language - that's the folder to use for UK English, while 'en-US' is for US English, for example. Also note there can be multiple files called 'default' in the final folder; you'll want the one with file extension '.dic'.

Firefox, as it turns out, is in a similar boat - you need to manually edit the dictionary file to remove words as far as I'm aware, although the dictionary for Firefox will of course be located in a different place.

Let me know if you need more detail/clarification, and sorry if it's either too confusing or says a bunch you're already familiar with.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast