Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how to draw in a mountain range in photoshop

Oh dear

Its very hard trying to help you without knowing exactly what it is that's going wrong. Maybe the next step is to start a WIP thread and show us what you've done - tell us with pictures so we can see exactly what the problem is

I think you should just take it slow, to me it sounds like you are getting overwhelmed with a lot information by trying to take too big a bite. Try making a maps just involving one single tutorial first, you will learn some things and understand some other things better, and whilst it may not achieve the exact look you want, it'll be a first step towards achieving your overall goal. Honestly taking things step by simple step is the only way great things get accomplished.

Edit: Also Work In Progress (WIP) threads are definitely the best way for people to help you, and useful for many other things besides. Mouse's advice is, as usual, spot on.
    Last edited by Falconius; 02-06-2018 at 07:29 PM.

the problem i am having is the fact that i can not draw a mountain range with the same generation like the cloud filter in photoshop. when i run Acsension's tutorial i change the mountains instead of running the difference clouds filter twice i run it once invert the colors then adjust the levels to fit a good range that looks right but it is still a random shape if i could get them a bit straighter and not so circular it would be fine but i can't seem to do that i would show you a picture but i cant give the second picture of what i want

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    I think you should just take it slow, to me it sounds like you are getting overwhelmed with a lot information by trying to take too big a bite. Try making a maps just involving one single tutorial first, you will learn some things and understand some other things better, and whilst it may not achieve the exact look you want, it'll be a first step towards achieving your overall goal. Honestly taking things step by simple step is the only way great things get accomplished.

Edit: Also Work In Progress (WIP) threads are definitely the best way for people to help you, and useful for many other things besides. Mouse's advice is, as usual, spot on.
    I totally agree with the first part, and thank you - but I have been known to drop really HUGE bloopers before now

Quote Originally Posted by Jaekaido View Post
    the problem i am having is the fact that i can not draw a mountain range with the same generation like the cloud filter in photoshop. when i run Acsension's tutorial i change the mountains instead of running the difference clouds filter twice i run it once invert the colors then adjust the levels to fit a good range that looks right but it is still a random shape if i could get them a bit straighter and not so circular it would be fine but i can't seem to do that i would show you a picture but i cant give the second picture of what i want
    Maybe start a WIP thread and show us your picture, then give us a hyperlink to the tutorial you were using, so that we can see what you can see and maybe get a bit closer to a better understanding of the problem?

I've never used either Photoshop or Ascension's Tutorial so I'm completely ignorant of what you mean. But if you gave me a nice link to the tut I would be more inclined to stop what I'm doing right now (which just happens to be my own first attempt at building an entire world) and go and have a read - see if I can't figure it out for you

https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=18643
    aparently it was redone by Kindari i didn't realize that but that is what i used and tomorrow i will show the differences in the two mountain ranges as i am getting ready for bed. i will show an example of both types of mountains both what Acsension's revised tutorial looks like and what i did, but the problem is being able to draw in a mountain rather than have generated randomly i will post tomorrow thought just so you guys can see

i just wish there was an easy way to make the maps that i want that are not going to cost me 200 dollars a pop.
    Well, the fact that it's not easy is why map artists charge a lot of money. That said, not every artist does.

It would help us to help you if you show us your WIP.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=18643
    aparently it was redone by Kindari i didn't realize that but that is what i used and tomorrow i will show the differences in the two mountain ranges as i am getting ready for bed. i will show an example of both types of mountains both what Acsension's revised tutorial looks like and what i did, but the problem is being able to draw in a mountain rather than have generated randomly i will post tomorrow thought just so you guys can see
    I watched some of the videos linked to in that tutorial, since I'm more of a 'watch, listen and learn' person than a 'read and learn' one. The thing that struck me is that it would be pretty difficult to control mountain placement when you are using a random fill to generate them.

I won't say too much more than that atm, since I've never used PS, and I wouldn't want to clutter your mind with my suggestions when there are hundreds of PS users here who are all far better qualified to help you than I am... but it has occurred to me that you could make a very, very large file (separately) of nothing but mountains and cut and paste from that file into your actual map - like using symbols?

It's only a suggestion, though. I've no idea if it would even work that way or how easy/difficult it would be.

EDIT: I think from the kind of map in that tutorial you might want to start a WIP thread here, so that its more about your map, than about a single question to do with it, since you will probably have a whole load more questions as you progress, and its easier to keep track of them if they are all in the WIP thread
    Last edited by Mouse; 02-07-2018 at 09:13 AM.

well i dont want to break the rules which is why i have posted things in other places. so i should start a WIP and ask my questions in there. that works for me i will get right on that this morning.

You aren't breaking any rules. Don't worry.

We really aren't like that around here.

Its just that when you have such a huge and busy forum to stroll around and only limited time in each day to check up on all the things that are happening that you have an interest in, its easier to keep track of what you're doing (for you as well as for us) if there's just the one main thread that covers the entire development of your map

If you do make a thread in the wrong place, then all that happens is a kindly Community Leader will quite gently pick it up and put it in the right place for you - all links intact and so on

It would be really helpful of you if you could just add a link on the end of this thread to take us directly to your new WIP thread, so that people who come looking for you here can find you again. Thanks

while I appreciate all you guys have done for me and others i think i am just going to give up on this as i can't seem to figure out how to do the pictures of where i need help. so at this point i am just going to leave the community and let you guys do what you do, seen as how i can't do it nearly as nicely as you guys can. i will am pretty tired of not getting this done and may just end up forking out a large sum of money when i can to get maps done. this process has got me all messed up in the head and there doesn't seem to be an answer to my question. the question in its basic form is how do i draw a mountain range in photoshop and i cant find a straight answer to it, though i know that there probably is one i haven't found it and will no longer waste your time with all my problems. thank you all for the help but i think i have reached the limit on this subject

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast