Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Labelling a map with Gimp

What do you mean 'lower or raise' text?

If you're trying to do stuff you would do in a vector programme it won't work. You have to do it the GIMP way. ie move the text box, or edit the path till its in the right place.

EDIT: if you mean use it like a word processor with subscript or superscript letters, it just won't hack it. You would need to export your map at full size and open it in Inkscape to do stranger things than just bend your labels around a curve

(That's what I've heard about Inkscape. I've never really put it to the test, so someone else would have to help you with that)
    Last edited by Mouse; 02-08-2018 at 12:12 PM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Sometimes I create the entire map in one file, and copy visible and then do my border and text in another file to save on layers. So whenever you change something on your base map, you just copy visible again and past it into the Border/Text file. But, I know how gimp can crash, so best is do something that works for you.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Don't worry Mouse, I didn't - that would have been silly of me without justification from your pros . I meant lowering and raising text as in umm, as taught in that video you linked Basically when you raise the text on those horizontal lines, up and down as you wish... Very trashy explanation, sorry. Cos that would help with the world name... and it doesn't budge, however many times I press the required button (button? what should I call it anyway?).
    I've tried Inkscape on RollApps (a website that allows you to open all sorts of apps online, but at much lower power, I think, unless you're premium) and it seems the text is indeed easy, rather like writing in a Word document (but I must say I didn't make that many probes around). But I won't install it just yet... Thanks for the tips tho!
    XCali Thanks, but I think it's too late for me now... I've saved the whole file tons of time...
    Hope I'm clear as usual.

What version of GIMP do you have? I think before 2.8 all this fancy text stuff was very much less impressive.

Don't forget that you need to be doing all these operations with the text tool, and the relevant text selected. It also doesn't work if you are trying to do it using the menu at the side if you want to move individual letters up and down. You have to manipulate the individual characters within the text box using the controls immediately above the text box. The ones in the panel on the side control the text box default settings, not the individual letters.

(and here I have to apologise because earlier I said GIMP wasn't capable of doing superscript and subscript, but it is - using smaller fonts and raising and lowering the letters the way that video describes)

Make sure you have an up to date version of GIMP installed, and maybe run through that particular part of the video again?

Other than that I've no idea why it would work for the video and me, but not for you.

Oh yes!

About the size of GIMP files. One of my recent Challenge files is 656 MB (the Glyphs of Kaylaric). That was pretty slow, but I only have an effective 2GB RAM these days when running Windows on this tiny little laptop, so the size of your file is relatively small. Most people have much larger machines than I do, so I expect they have even larger files than that.

Yes, i am using the options right above the text, and I have GIMP 2.8... I'll keep trying...

And don't forget that you have to have the actual letters you want to change the up-ness or down-ness of selected (highlighted), or it won't work again

Oh... that might actually be why it didn't work... Extremely silly me, I have to go and check it out!!

Solved! In barely a minute! Thanks Mouse - I need to use my common sense some more ;D

LOL!

My mum used to say "Too much haste and not enough speed". So I must have been just the same when I was your age

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast