Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Labelling a map with Gimp

Haha, that sums it up quite nicely! This must be the hundredth time I go 'Oh, I didn't think of THAT'!

Oops. I didn't read to the end of the thread.
    Last edited by bkh1914; 02-08-2018 at 09:27 PM.

I have up on Gimp for labeling, and now exclusively use Inkscape. Trivial to put text text on a curved path, full kerning, vertical position and rotation is possible on a letter be letter basis, and the text tensions fully editable.

You can also use clones to create fully dynamic text effects such as outlines, glows or knockouts that change when you edit the text.

I export my map from Gimp as a jpg, resize the Inkscape canvas to match, and lock the image layer, then create a new layer and do all the labels.

To get it back into Gimp, just hide the mall later, and export it from Inkscape as a png, and open as a new layer in Gimp.

-Rob A>

@RobA Thanks for the advice! I'm really pounding in my head on whether to install Inkscape, but I've noticed that all that takes a lot of space... Using something simple after GIMP should be relaxing....

https://hobbylark.com/tabletop-gamin...-GIMP-Labeling
    Found this on the web. Might just help me...
    This is really random, but what about labelling with... Paint? MS Paint. I've tried it before, the only thing missing is probably an outer glow effect... and paths/curved text... Anybody used it before?
    Last edited by MapMappingMapped; 02-11-2018 at 05:22 AM.

I would second RobA's recommendation to give Inkscape a try. It's infinitely easier for labelling than Gimp. When you say it 'takes a lot space', do you mean the program installation? Are you short on hard drive space?
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Not really, it's just that recently I've noticed how big GIMP files can be... But I'm really considering it.

I think you get used to how big they are in the end, but if it concerns you, you can always back everything up onto an external memory device once you have finished work on something and then delete the intermediate stages from your hard drive so that you only have the one final map file for each map on your PC, but can still access the earlier stages from the external device if you decide to change anything

I'm not sure that maps made with Gimp are larger than the other software.
    I think the problem lies in the quantity of data you are trying to store in all the combined layers. Large textures takes a lot of room.
    Also, Inkscape is a vector program, it is very different from Gimp. While it is probably marginally better for labelling, it doesn't handle textures very well.
    If you want a map with texture, it will be easier to add them by exporting the map to the Gimp than doing it in Inkscape.

Just to be clear about Inkscape, I'm not suggesting you do the full map in Inkscape (well, unless you specifically want a vector map). I mean the labelling only. RobA explains in his comment above. Basically, export a jpg of your map from Gimp and open that in Inkscape. Do your labelling on a separate layer, then export that layer only as a PNG (just hide or delete the map layer). Import the labels PNG into your main Gimp file as a new layer. You're only adding one more layer in Gimp for all your labels. It shouldn't increase your file size too much.

I love Inkscape for labelling (and rivers too). It's so easy to move and tweak the labels if you need to, something that's difficult in Gimp once it's rasterised your text.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast