Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: [NEED ADVICE] What is the ballpark price range for getting a map designed?

To me those prices seem pretty low if you compare for a normal day pay wage.

They don't call them "starving artists" for no reason...

Seriously, though, rates will vary widely by locale and the importance of that income to the artist. If you're living in a city in the USA and want your art to support a roof over your head and to feed you, then the price structure will be radically different than a student in India who lives with their parents and who wants a little spending money.

Quote Originally Posted by Soraya View Post
    Those are great! I love doing custom compasses myself. Illustrations can take a decent amount of time, so that makes me curious as to how you charge extra for those. Like a fixed price or an hourly rate?
    I think using an hourly rate as your base line as the way to figure out your prices makes the most sense. And then depending on the myriad of other factors that you feel affect the price adjust it from there.

Volume of sales is the biggest factor to allow adjustment of price to make it more competitive, which is why making only one (or selling only one in most cases here) makes things expensive. (Although I'm with the others here, some of these prices are pretty enticing)

I think the discussion about the contract should be in another thread because it is a completely different topic and it might become a sticky post later.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Deleted by user.
    Last edited by GSEC; 03-18-2018 at 06:49 AM.

Just reviving this thread but what you think of fiver?
    You can get a map for as low as 15 $ and no more than 150 $ more or less.

You mean Fiverr ?
    If so, i browsed the map results and it's rather hard to find something that this forum members provide. A lot of them are vector based simple maps, or stamps. Not the kind of quality you would find here. Some are even maps made in Incarnate (with all the resource there it's rather easy and fast to create a map).

Not all need professional map, so as long as there is market for those, i see nothing workng with it, but with your skills Naima, please never charge $30 for a map. As J.E. always says and I agree - "Value your time and work"
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

I actually saw some pretty good maps ... and the top price was around 100-150$.

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    I actually saw some pretty good maps ... and the top price was around 100-150$.
    Well, i don't know how to comment this.
    For my first commission, where i myself wasn't sure about my skills and had absolutely no idea how much to charge, asked for much more than $150.

I guess, people over Fiverr don't value their work so much. Maybe it's just more of a loose hobby to them, or maybe they developed some style that is fast in making.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567