Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raum's Stronghold

Default Raum's Stronghold

I am moving this from my Voolf's miscellaneous art thread, because i guess it deserves a separate thread. It will not be done anytime soon and more people can actually see it here than in general mapping section.

Short story shorter. My first isometric city, that is more of a illustration than an actual map.

Here are the Wips so far

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	illu_sketch.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	173.8 KB 
ID:	104593
    First chunk of sektch

Name:	illu_sketch_v.1.0.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	104594
    Full sketch

Name:	illu_sketch_v.1.2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	104596
    1/3 of the linework

Name:	illu_sketch_v.1.3.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	262.9 KB 
ID:	104597
    2/3 of the linework

If you want to read more (but it is not so much) you can go here.

I will update this map here from now on.

Cheers
    Last edited by Voolf; 02-18-2018 at 07:03 AM.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

We really need a 'Follow Voolf button'

But you won't get rid of me that easily!

Watching with interest

Let's follow

For easy 3D modeling, I know Wired uses Tinkercad. It's free and quick to handle.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Yes, I can recommend Tinkercad. It's easy to use and can be accessed from everywhere since it's a web-based application. The downside is, however, that it's functionality is rather basic. You may find it useful to block in basic shapes to establish the perspective, but anything above that becomes tricky.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Well whew, another very interesting map here! Will follow this one from close by
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Guild Novice Facebook Connected auke's Avatar

Lovely!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Dain's Avatar

It's definitely a really nice start.
    No doubt that it's going to be quite a masterpiece !

Just some thougts, for the pleasure of sharing ideas and get your feedback.
    - Do you intend to keep the architecture lines as straight and clean as they are ? At this stage, it kind of contrast a bit too much with the mountain around. The rocks and reliefs are awesome, very smooth and sexy. The buildings pop up a bit too much to my eyes.
    - I'm a huge fan of isometrics, I must admit. But I wonder whether you could add some more punch using a vanishing point toward the bottom of the illustration. Just slightly bend the towers. That would, imo, create some intimacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    We really need a 'Follow Voolf button'

But you won't get rid of me that easily!

Watching with interest
    Seeing mouses around every corner... feel like i am being stalked

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Let's follow

For easy 3D modeling, I know Wired uses Tinkercad. It's free and quick to handle.
    Thanks for reminding me about that one !

Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    Yes, I can recommend Tinkercad. It's easy to use and can be accessed from everywhere since it's a web-based application. The downside is, however, that it's functionality is rather basic. You may find it useful to block in basic shapes to establish the perspective, but anything above that becomes tricky.
    I have tried it, it is not bad, but i am missing cut out option to carve more in basic shapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    Well whew, another very interesting map here! Will follow this one from close by
    Thanks Caenwyr

Quote Originally Posted by auke View Post
    Lovely!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Dain View Post
    It's definitely a really nice start.
    No doubt that it's going to be quite a masterpiece !

Just some thougts, for the pleasure of sharing ideas and get your feedback.
    - Do you intend to keep the architecture lines as straight and clean as they are ? At this stage, it kind of contrast a bit too much with the mountain around. The rocks and reliefs are awesome, very smooth and sexy. The buildings pop up a bit too much to my eyes.
    - I'm a huge fan of isometrics, I must admit. But I wonder whether you could add some more punch using a vanishing point toward the bottom of the illustration. Just slightly bend the towers. That would, imo, create some intimacy.
    Thanks Dian for comment and suggestion
    - I have been told many times to change straight lines of buildings. I don't know why it bothers so much, i like them straight. Problem is i cannot draw relatively good buildings by hand on tablet. They are always skewed, that is why i use straight lines, especially when it comes to isometric view. For this one i will try to make a new layer and draw them again little jagged and see how it looks.
    - this map originally supposed to be 3 point perspective.... but because it is really my first map like that after couuple of tries i decided to make it a bit easier and go for isometric view. I will not change it now, the image is too small to transform (the lines will be blurry) and i definately don't want to start again from 0. Maybe next map.
    New Horizons

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons

Support:

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Dain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Seeing mouses around every corner... feel like i am being stalked
    Thanks Dain for comment and suggestion
    - I have been told many times to change straight lines of buildings. I don't know why it bothers so much, i like them straight. Problem is i cannot draw relatively good buildings by hand on tablet. They are always skewed, that is why i use straight lines, especially when it comes to isometric view. For this one i will try to make a new layer and draw them again little jagged and see how it looks.
    - this map originally supposed to be 3 point perspective.... but because it is really my first map like that after couuple of tries i decided to make it a bit easier and go for isometric view. I will not change it now, the image is too small to transform (the lines will be blurry) and i definately don't want to start again from 0. Maybe next map.
    I completely understand,
    What you could do then, is playing with the "perspective" function in PS, to create that vanishing point. Just for you to see what happens. I admit it can blur the lines a bit. For the next illustration then.
    I often use that tool as well as Google Sketchup. These are smart tools to educate my rusty eyes for getting nice angles of view.

Doing so, i get this kind of sketch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laelith-rendu.png 
Views:	148 
Size:	689.0 KB 
ID:	104708  

Quote Originally Posted by Dain View Post
    I completely understand,
    What you could do then, is playing with the "perspective" function in PS, to create that vanishing point. Just for you to see what happens. I admit it can blur the lines a bit. For the next illustration then.
    I often use that tool as well as Google Sketchup. These are smart tools to educate my rusty eyes for getting nice angles of view.
    Thank you so much for suggestions.
    Unfortunately i don't work in PS, but in Krita. I don't think i am familiar with the perspective tool from PS. I stopped following PS since 2010 i guess. Krita has a perspective transform and other stuff, but i rarely use them, only sometimes when the image is big enough.

Google sketchup should help. I am now looking for good and easy to use 3d soft for quick modeling.

There is another problem i had with modeling though. because this map has buidings on different heights it is easier for me to draw them at the same time as i progress with the mountain. If i start from 0 in sketchup it is hard for me to plan the buildings when i don't know the "enviroment" around. It is not like a cluster of buildings on the same ground level.

Btw. Great city sketch. I definately want to go for something like this in future, but i need more practice in city maps. Not only drawing but also get ideas for more building variations. I am bad at designing from thin air.
    New Horizons

Support:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast