Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Raum's Stronghold

I smell some Akaé level map in the making. To help a bit, maybe if you put a perspective grid with the light direction you'll have more information like where the drop shadow go.
    Last edited by ThomasR; 09-20-2018 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    If anyone has good knowledge and refference about shade for this kind of thing please do share
    Any good book on how to draw and paint will provide you with the basics of how to do shadows - it's a very fundamental topic.

I'd recommend browsing in a bookstore, but then I'm an old-fashioned hard-copy type of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    As with paintings, step back from the canvas once in a while to take in the view - as if you are standing on a neighbouring mountain and admiring the scenery. That way you will see the shape and form of the land beginning to emerge already, and be able to know where the deeper shadows should lie

Its already looking great, Voolf
    Well that is a good advice. Problem is, someone like me with low skill of painting something in mind can stare at it for hours and still can't get it

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I smell some Akaé level map in the making. To help a bit, maybe if you put a perspective grid with the light direction you'll have more information like where the drop shadow go.
    I have those, but still struggling. I know where the general shade should go. Problem is i don't know how far. The shadows are also distorted on irregular stone like that at some places. The best way to see it is to build 3d model with shadows, but i won' be doing that
    I haven't thought of Akae's maps when drawing that. Now when you mentioned it, i see some similarities. I am far from achiveing Akae's level of magnificent illustrations though

Quote Originally Posted by bkh1914 View Post
    Any good book on how to draw and paint will provide you with the basics of how to do shadows - it's a very fundamental topic.

I'd recommend browsing in a bookstore, but then I'm an old-fashioned hard-copy type of guy.
    Hey bkh1914, thanks for advice. I think i have the basics covered well enough. It is just hard to shade such a complex rock for the very first time maintaining the "3D" look.

Here is small update
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	illu_sketch_v.1.7.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	110297

Ps. I think i need to add more flora on the mountain.... looks too barren
    Last edited by Voolf; 09-22-2018 at 03:57 AM.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Going with my instincts for now...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	illu_sketch_v.1.8.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	110303
    New Horizons

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons

Support:

That's looking really good.

And there you were, having is on that you couldn't do it! LOL!

A deeper shade of shadow for the shadows within the shaded side of the hill would finish it off nicely

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    A deeper shade of shadow for the shadows within the shaded
    Haha, a "shadow inception" theory?
    New Horizons

Support:

Hey, thank you all for taking part in this WIP thread. Map is completed, you can see it here.
    New Horizons

Support:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234