Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kasuorvis - atlas style continental map

Guild Apprentice

Default Kasuorvis - atlas style continental map

Okay, time to stop being shy and post some work. Kasuorvis is a continent from one of my longstanding world/writing projects. It's not a modern world so this style is anachronistic, I know, but I like to make atlas style maps to lay down where exactly everything is. I may make more stylistic versions later.

This is mostly the GIMP with heavy use of the pen tool, with labels done in Inkscape.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kasuorvis_atlas.png 
Views:	269 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	104581

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Impressive work and a very clean, easy-to-interpret style. And I like the layout of the continent - those are some big-ass mountains in the east!

Oh, and have some rep! Welcome to the Guild.

Guild Member Facebook Connected woodb3kmaster's Avatar

Now that's an impressive entrance to the Guild! I can tell you've put a lot of thought into your world's tectonics; all the features make sense and are clearly recognizable as what they're meant to be. It's definitely a rep-worthy map; I hope you'll post more before long. Welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    The trouble is that publicity is awfully difficult to make into a stew without a great deal of marinating, and I've never managed to pay a water bill with it
    "Your utilities bill for this month is £37"
    "But look, there's a book on Amazon with my name in the credits!"
    "That'll be £37 please."

Very cool map!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    Okay, time to stop being shy and post some work.
    And we're very gad you decided so!

This map of yours is very well accomplished. Good colors, good grasp of landforms, good choice of projection...

Next step, share the entire world? (is there a whole world map?)

Here's some reputation for you Kalium, much deserved!

Guild Apprentice

Too kind, all of you! I did put a lot of thought into this world's tectonics so I'm really happy it paid off and the effort is visible.

Yes, there is a world map. Here you go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sena.png 
Views:	152 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	104650

I have a master world map that I can import into G.Project to lay out how I wish, which is how I did the continental map, then I cleaned it up for display. This one still needs cleanup but I still like it.

This is indeed extremely good looking, especially for a first map!

As a small nitpick the elevation key has two colours listed as -3000 m, I assume the other should be -6000m?

Guild Apprentice

Aw, there's always a typo. Thanks for pointing that one out or I'd never have seen it - you're right, it should be -6000. Fixed them up now.

Another vote for "glad you stopped being shy"!
    I really hope that you will make some more stylistic maps later on. Why? Because a) i'm already very taken with this project of yours Looks very good so far. And b) more era-appropriate mapping would be awesome (not that there is anything wrong with this map style, mind you).
    The layout of your world feels very authentic, btw. Well done!

Care to tell us a bit more about the world behind those beautiful maps?
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Apprentice

There will definitely be some in universe maps to go with these, don't worry. I actually dug up an older one that I'm thinking of tweaking so that will probably go up here.

As for this set, I've also been working on another atlas style map for the next continent over. Would it be acceptable to turn this thread into a WIP thread for the continental maps? I'm thinking of doing a set of all of them.

The world itself.. you ever have one of those worlds that you made up ages ago and you keep coming back to? This one's mine. It's a writing setting and a home for some creatures I've been creating for ages. And it's never done...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast