Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: New Eldoran

Thanks, Kacey! I'm posting the finished version of this astronomical view here.

And I'm seriously trying to start something on the new eldoran, now.

By Naima
    The map and continent shapes look great, my only criticism would be that , and only if the idea is an Earthlike world , that there is too much land and too little ocen making the overal world a bit of cluttered with landforms , but then its totally plausible to have a dry world with less watern than land.
    The Antarctic continent reminds me a lot of Antarctica.
    Yup, that's a good point, Naima. It's not meant so much to be an Earthlike world, but the continents are not supposed to be so close of each other as well. I reduced them a little bit to space them.
    What do you think?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Eldoran2.jpeg 
Views:	106 
Size:	10.61 MB 
ID:	105199
    As for the south polar continent, I used a mixe of our arctic ice cap & antarctica to do it, so, not surprising.

So, after a lot of failing tests (again) including different techniques, I finally got something that I quite like.

I'm trying to go from regional map to end with the world map, in order to get quality for regional maps & to not mess with scales (not sure it will works, but well...).
    I'm starting with the big island of Osininka, east of Norumbega.

Name:	Osininka.jpeg 
Views:	80 
Size:	8.48 MB 
ID:	105567
    I've just done a small part of the shaded relief. You can guess it takes some times (even more after 5 failures...).

I'm not sure it fit the scale (at this scale, 1 px is supposed to represnt 1 km).

A little more. Not sure if the volcanoes are recognizable...

Views:	112 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	105570

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    A little more. Not sure if the volcanoes are recognizable...

Views:	112 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	105570
    Is that a river that’s starting out from near the mountains and ends in a delta at the sea? Is it fed from runoff from the mountains?

In the smaller screen of my phone, the large volcano is ver easy to spot. Once at the laptop, I see also a large and old caldera, to the southeast of that massive stratovolcano.

By the way, Ilanthar, the amount of detail is massive! Take care about two things: 1 - drainage of will power, which will make you abandon this, 2 - too much of a rugged terrain, as a consequence of going overboard on shading/lighting.

I'm astounded and curious about the outcome, will surely follow this. And I would rep you if I could, but the system tells me I have done it too recently

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    So, after a lot of failing tests (again) including different techniques, I finally got something that I quite like.

I'm trying to go from regional map to end with the world map, in order to get quality for regional maps & to not mess with scales (not sure it will works, but well...).
    I'm starting with the big island of Osininka, east of Norumbega.

Views:	80 
Size:	8.48 MB 
ID:	105567
    I've just done a small part of the shaded relief. You can guess it takes some times (even more after 5 failures...).

I'm not sure it fit the scale (at this scale, 1 px is supposed to represnt 1 km).
    I think looks very good already but I wouln't go that route, I would make first world map and then regional map , unless you want to spend ages mapping a whole planet, I would focus on regional maps only for the regions you really care for and have some more specific interest.

Thanks a lot everyone!

@J. Edward : from a shaded relief master, that's more than reassuring.
    @Vareck Bostrom : not sure to understand. I didn't draw any river yet. Maybe my unfinished sea & coastline is confusing? I hope it's gonna be clearer now.
    @Pixie : thanks for the advices. I know I'll have to restrain myslef for not doing too much. I'll plan to use big "flat" areas and lower opacity for that. I think I'll probably use the opacity settings to make the relief "readable" at world size as well.
    @Naima ; don't you know I'm crazy? I do intend to do everything... and that's probably gonna take ages indeed. But I'll certainly start with major places of interest, indeed.

Some more.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	81 
Size:	7.98 MB 
ID:	105598

If you're not already creasy you'll certainly be it before you end this world map, Ilanthar. For the sake of your mental health, stop this crazy job!
    Great shading work and an amazing technique which I envy you. I have the same feeling than Naima or Pixie, the amount of detail can kill the map, but I can not presume the final result, so it's up to you to map .

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast