Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: New Eldoran

Guild Expert

The mountains and coast are really impressive Ilanthar, and I really like the scale bar illustrations as well. Is there any chance we'll ever see a tutorial on how you make you're shaded relief? I would love to know how to do this.

Thanks Kacey!
    Is there any chance we'll ever see a tutorial on how you make you're shaded relief? I would love to know how to do this.
    Sure!

I only use the airbrush tool of krita (of the old set) at opacity 1 and black.
    I turn the 4 layers at "burn", opacity 35%. I generally use the previous layer at burn 100% to draw the next one on it (draw the step 3 on the step 2 at burn 100%, for example).
    You can play a lot on adding details or not for reinforcing or not an area.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Osininka tuto.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	498.0 KB 
ID:	106388

1 : general topography
    With the brush at 10 pixels wide, just the main lines

2 : more details
    Brush width = 5 px
    Addition on the main lines, plus some secondary ones.

3 : more details
    Brush width = 5 px
    additional details & reinforcing shadows.

4 : details
    Brush width = 2 px
    A lot of lines to gave more rugosity and underline some elements/ridges even more strongly.

On a different note, I'm still messing around with the land colors. I think I'm hesitating too much between too very different things...

Those mountains are insane! I was just asking for a tutorial and completely overlooked your last reply. Thanks so much!

I'm not so sure about the new color of the land. I think I like the lighter color better, as there is more contrast to the water.

The technique is brilliant !

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I'm really amazed at your talent, Ilanthar. THIS is why I'm your number one fanboy! Though I'm almost certain I can't pull it off as well as you, I'm going to try out that mountain/topo technique some day very soon...

Guild Expert

Hey thanks Ilanthar, I really wasen’t expecting you to give away you’re secrets so willingly. I really appreciate it I’ll have to give this a try though it seems you still have to have some good old talent to pull of this technique. Out of curiosity, how much time have you put into this so far, and what resolution are you working at for the world map? Or are you blowing up the smaller sections to work on them separately?

By Neyasha
    I'm not so sure about the new color of the land. I think I like the lighter color better, as there is more contrast to the water.
    Thanks! Right now, I just left this question aside. I just can't find something to my taste and start to wonder if I'm gonna color the lands...

By ThomasR
    The technique is brilliant !
    Héhé, thanks Thomas! Its quite time consuming though... and I already spent quite a lot of time and tests before I found this, as you know !

By Diamond
    I'm really amazed at your talent, Ilanthar. THIS is why I'm your number one fanboy! Though I'm almost certain I can't pull it off as well as you, I'm going to try out that mountain/topo technique some day very soon...
    Thanks a lot Diamond! I'm doing my best to not disappoint such a fan !
    And looking forward to see what you'll do with it!

By Kacey
    Hey thanks Ilanthar, I really wasen’t expecting you to give away you’re secrets so willingly. I really appreciate it I’ll have to give this a try though it seems you still have to have some good old talent to pull of this technique. Out of curiosity, how much time have you put into this so far, and what resolution are you working at for the world map? Or are you blowing up the smaller sections to work on them separately?
    You're welcome, Kacey ! I've spent a lot of time before I found this method, so if it can be used, it's for better. Plus, I'm really eager to see what fellow guild members will do with it.
    As usual for a personal project, I didn't really count how much time I've spent on this... a certain number of hours, for sure. I intend to reuse the moutains for the world map, a minima. There's a ratio of 1:12 between the two, 1 px = 500 meters on Osininka, 6km on the world map. And yeah, I will do the regional/countries map to "build" the world map.

So, I've followed the incredible Tamriel WIP, and thanks to the explanations of MistyBeee and Mouse, I did another attempt for a sea pattern (with Mouse/Krita method).
    I think it's working a bit better this time. Thoughts?
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Osininka.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	106456

Hehe, it's great to see those little towns popping here and there.
    As one of the pattern experts (hum ^^'), I would recommend a biggest one for this map : as the map itself is very big, it needs something to its measurement. However, I really like the design itself !
    And I think I forgot to tell how I'm deeply in love with the tiny mappemonde & the scale ! I want to see more of them ! I want them everywhere !!

Arff... There are still a lot of things that feels not "right". The cities being one of the many.

Anyway, I've followed your good counsel MistyBeee, and I spent (waaaayyy more time than I planned) to do another bigger sea pattern. There are little glitches here and there, but I've spent too much time on it already.
    Since I can't decide myself about the sea color, I tried this "in between".
    I've also tried a new test on land colors...
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Osininka.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	106482
    And I think I forgot to tell how I'm deeply in love with the tiny mappemonde & the scale ! I want to see more of them ! I want them everywhere !!
    Thanks! Those I won't change and are to my liking too. I've done a new stamp for the "Compagnie des Argonautes" that I added above the Mappemonde. I won't be on this map, though.

Oh... probably because of my weak English I'm afraid you misunderstood what I said... Sorry for the rest of you, guys, but I'll split in French for a little while !

Je ne voulais pas forcément dire qu'il fallait un motif plus grand (quoique celui-ci soit absolument fantastique et je me réjouis que tu l'aies fait ! ), mais plutôt qu'il faudrait que la répétition se fasse de façon moins rapprochée. En gros, travailler sur un document de 600x600px au lieu de 200x200px. Pour ce qui est de l'ampleur du motif en lui même (petites ou grandes vagues), c'est autre chose

I just can't understand why drawing a pattern needs so many time. It's the same for me, and I always need tons of edits to be happy at the end. I guess it's going better with more practice... anyway and once again, your waves are stunning, Ilanthar : good job, as always !

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast