Thread: 'Diaspora' maps

Default 'Diaspora' maps

Hi cartographers,

I have designed my first map for my game Diaspora. I need several detailed maps of the Mediterranean sea; once in the game you can establish your colonies in marked places. I have started by this area in the central Mediterranean, which was called in antiquity Magna Graecia, its the most easy to make, and coincides with Southern Italy and Sicily.

I have used some tutorials on Youtube and other resources I found on the Internet. Considering the map is not yet finished (I need to add mountains and maybe other details), I think it is a bad map, but it is the first one, so perhaps I can improve it with some tips by the professionals. I think it may be too dark...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magna_graecia.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	104953

I am using a 640x480 resolution, so the size is quite small. In fact, this map has 480x480, because I want to save part of the screen for other purposes. What do you think?

Hi everybody, I am improving my previous map. I have painted shadows to the coast, and I am also using borders. I thought the map was very dark, so I have added some light and, finally, I have put some mountains. I think it is better now. However, I know is quite simple, but remember I am working with a resolution of 480x480 pixels. Moreover, I don't want to make a very complex game or a project that could make me spend a lot of time. I don't exclude including other items. What do you think of the result?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magna_graeciaII.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	291.3 KB 
ID:	105001

I have done a map of the whole Mediterranean sea, and I like the result, so I am going to fill the map with mountains and resources. Opinions welcomed.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mediterranean.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	105049

The contrast between sea and land is interesting. It makes the Mediterranean look like land until you get used to it. That's not a nit pick, just and interesting thing, like an optical illusion my eyes keep switching it between land and sea.

Anyways. I find the map a bit dark overall, but it's not really yet in a state where one can tell if that works or not. I find the rivers in the last one somewhat heavy and blocky. I'm afraid to say I think they were better in the first one. Maybe it's just the outline that bothers me, perhaps if it was thinner it'd be alright. Anyways it's looking good, keep on trucking.

Hi Falconius!

Greetings and thank you for your review. The thing is that the composition tries to figure a parchment, with a map drawn on it. I have to play with different brawn and black tones, but I think the result is good. Apart from that, yeah, it may be a bit dark, but this is easy to correct. On the other hand, the problem with the rivers... I don't think I can remove these thick lines so easily! I may need to remove all the rivers to re-draw again and choose a thinner outline.

Currently, I have used a grid to make boxes and put the geographical items (mountains, hills, forests) because these will have an impact on the game and is better to have it cautiously organized.

I will upload something soon.

Have a nice day!