Thread: Xultec

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default Xultec

This is pretty far along, but I wanted to share what I have done so far. Ignore the stone background, that's probably going to change. The fonts are also subject to change, especially the one I've used to label seas and gulfs and whatnot. I was very pleased with the way the landforms turned out; it's actually a heavily modified relief map of Zion National Park in Utah.

I'm not sure what the background is for this yet, apart from it being a colony planet that lost contact with it's home world at some point. 'Landing' and 'Ascension' are obviously holdovers from that age. It might even be a terraformed planet of some kind, perhaps by a highly advanced race, since the world is divided almost neatly in half, with the northern hemisphere being a huge supercontinent, while the southern hemisphere is a massive ocean peppered with large islands and archipelagos like the one shown here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xultec1.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	105034  

The effects on the interior border and title are wonderful. However the repeating pattern of that stone texture surrounding the map is a bit distracting. Also really dig the texture of the terrain itself.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Apprentice

I didn't really notice the stone at first but I was zoomed in. But you said it was just a placeholder so hoping for something cool in the future. I'm imagining something space themed to put across the idea that it's a colonised planet as opposed to a regular fantasy world.

Anyway really great land texture!

Blog Entries

I feel like a good old map. Beautiful!
    This is a good balance of map and land! Fashionable and show the land clearly.

The title and the topography are great ! The west of the Peregrine ranges could use a bit more of a transition, maybe?

What you did with the coastal bevel and the title is epic !

Yes, the title is mind-blowing! I really like the coastlines so far.

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Arkidemis's Avatar

The detailing on the map looks great so far. I also like what you have done with the inside of the title and the distressed look you went for. My only criticism is the border of the title feels to "new", if you know what I mean.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Thanks so much for the comments and feedback, guys. Keeps me motivated!

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    The effects on the interior border and title are wonderful. However the repeating pattern of that stone texture surrounding the map is a bit distracting. Also really dig the texture of the terrain itself.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    That texture will probably go away, but if it doesn't, the repeating effect probably won't be noticeable once I place the rest of the border elements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    I didn't really notice the stone at first but I was zoomed in. But you said it was just a placeholder so hoping for something cool in the future. I'm imagining something space themed to put across the idea that it's a colonised planet as opposed to a regular fantasy world.

Anyway really great land texture!
    Thanks! Yeah, still working on ways to differentiate it from the 'same old fantasy world'.
    Quote Originally Posted by qhqhTerra View Post
    I feel like a good old map. Beautiful!
    This is a good balance of map and land! Fashionable and show the land clearly.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    The title and the topography are great ! The west of the Peregrine ranges could use a bit more of a transition, maybe?
    I was planning to make that a really silty/fine sand desert, with really nothing in the way of distinguishing features.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    What you did with the coastal bevel and the title is epic !
    Thanks man.
    Quote Originally Posted by MapMappingMapped View Post
    Yes, the title is mind-blowing! I really like the coastlines so far.
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkidemis View Post
    The detailing on the map looks great so far. I also like what you have done with the inside of the title and the distressed look you went for. My only criticism is the border of the title feels to "new", if you know what I mean.
    I think I see what you mean, but I like it (right now - could change if I wake up one morning and think it sucks ).