Thread: The Tribal Lands

Guild Novice

Wip The Tribal Lands

So, after playing through the first two installments of the Risen series, I decided to get back to mapping and making my own adventures. I started mapping a continent from a world I've been working on. The continent is called The Tribal Lands, partially because I couldn't think of anything better and partially because it isn't ruled by any one body. It's split between several groups of people (most of it). I began by inserting an old paint image of the continent and mapping the terrain I wanted in the different areas over that. I also made sure to denote the different areas with political boundaries. Now it's just terrain, a couple of mountain ranges and the main forested area (on this continent). I'm going to break it down from this point by pulling individual regions onto their own maps and filling them in from there. Any thoughts on what I've got so far?

Edit: As a side note, the scale is, I believe, a 2000x2000 mile map, if anyone is curious.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tribal Lands.PNG 
Views:	46 
Size:	617.2 KB 
ID:	105057
    Last edited by Sir Trevis; 03-03-2018 at 12:08 AM.

Guild Novice

I've managed to fill out one territory and added a coastline to the overworld map, though I'm having a little trouble figuring out how best to transfer the coastline to the individual territory maps as I did that later and CC3 doesn't seem to want to trace smooth polygons very well.

Overworld with coastline

Name:	Tribal Lands-Coastline.PNG 
Views:	41 
Size:	567.4 KB 
ID:	105891

The Majoran Expanse

Name:	The Majoran Expanse.PNG 
Views:	34 
Size:	721.4 KB 
ID:	105892

I'm almost finished with a second territory, but I'm trying to figure out how to make a canyon along part of the eastern border (which I inquired about here).

Ra-Malos Territory

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Ra-Malos Territory.PNG 
Views:	27 
Size:	703.7 KB 
ID:	105893

Interesting project thus far. One thing that didn't so much bother me but rather go me thinking was how or why were such regional boundaries drawn. To a certain extent I find the regions to be rather carved up in equal fashion. Is this true in real life? Are not some the victors and others the losers, religated to all but the most inhospitipal portions of a landscape? Also, what about natural features such as rivers, mountain ranges, &c.? They tend to make very natural and easy to maitain physical and cultual boundaries. I notices in one of your maps that you had rivers running through the middle of some of your cultural regions. Mayhaps those might make for interesting natural "tribal" boundaries.