Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ittara, Commission-maybe.

Hi Folks,

Here is minor update that was a surprisingly lot of work. I've added my signature compass rose, rhumb lines and changed the copyright notice to copyright the author which was the easy part. Creating the regions as individual, editable areas was challenging, with judicious use of the copy, paste in front and pathfinder tools (minus front) in Ai (thanks Dr Heath Robinson, Geomindz.com!).

I've got to fix the rhumb lines extending past the border, the border itself - for some reason the corners aren't working properly - label and so on. I'll probably have to adjust the regions as well, particularly the borders, I think they should , for the most part, follow the natural features more closely. The region with the capital symbol and lake definitely needs to be changed as the city is the primary focus of the supplement; the area needs to be, perhaps less mountainous, but certainly extend further into the plains.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wip_Ittara_Regional 7-01-01-01.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	470.0 KB 
ID:	105888

Cheers,
    Last edited by damonjynx; 03-27-2018 at 06:57 PM.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Hi All,

I'm back working on this again. The project is a go and the deal has been struck. The publisher didn't particularly like the above, so I've had to start afresh, more or less. There are 3 maps all B&W; large scale country, smaller scale regional (both 1/2 letter) and a detailed city map (letter). Inset will be the regional map, scaled down to fit.

The basic line work is the same as previous, however everything else has been done in Ps.

Any feedback would be welcome.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Ittara v5.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	116987
    Last edited by damonjynx; 08-13-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Finished Maps

Hi Folks,

Another update on this. This time is a smaller scale Regional Map, the final map will be a close up of the city itself with buildings etc. This will also be used for the inset in the above map (I'll try and do some Ps Magic to get it just to line work.

This is in colour and once I'm done, I'm going to see what it looks like as grey scale and if it looks ok, submit that. Any feed back suggestions would much appreciated. Obviously, there's a fair amount of work to do yet.

This commission is a far cry from my usual dungeon maps, I am so far out of my comfort zone it's not funny.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Alex's Regional V2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	117743

Finished Maps

Hi Folks,

Here are two 'finished' maps, I've one more to go - the actual city map.

Any feedback would be appreciated. The regional map will be submitted as grey scale but I think it looks better in colour, certainly the text style does...

N.B: Images Copyright, The Design Mechanism 2019. Art by Jim Abbott. All rights reserved.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Ittara v5.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	117907

Name:	Alex's Regional Final.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	5.19 MB 
ID:	117908

Finished Maps

One thing to consider, historically, secondary compasses pointed in slightly different directions than the primary compass rose. See this Map of New England from 1627.

Sometimes these expanded the 32 points of wind/cardinal directions of the mariner compass (boxing the compass), occasionally I've seen them as sidereal—compasses which focused on celestial navigation.

[Edit so others don't read this and assume this is right. I'm totally not correct here. I should have done much more research.]
    Last edited by KMAlexander; 10-04-2019 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KMAlexander View Post
    One thing to consider, historically, secondary compasses pointed in slightly different directions than the primary compass rose. See this Map of New England from 1627.

Sometimes these expanded the 32 points of wind/cardinal directions of the mariner compass (boxing the compass), occasionally I've seen them as sidereal—compasses which focused on celestial navigation.
    Thanks for that KM. That is really interesting. Obviously, I'm aware of the 16 point compass names but never really delved much further into it than that. I must be missing something though; to my eye, the secondary compass for the linked map looks identical to me. If it's off, it must be only by a degree or two.

I also noticed and have fixed that the scale bar on the large scale map is incorrect, it should read 300, not 600...

Finished Maps

You know what, you're 100% right. My bad.

I was going to say that perhaps it had more points, but after doing some layer tests, I don't think that's correct either.

Edit: Heck, after doing more research, it seems like the norm was to have a bunch of compasses with all 32 points scattered around the map.
    Last edited by KMAlexander; 10-04-2019 at 01:43 PM. Reason: I was wrong.

Hi Folks,

Yet another WIP. This is where I'm at so far with the city map. I played around laying in the buildings with dynamic brushes as per Torstan's tutorial on the subject but I wasn't happy with the look for this map. So I've spent the better part of 2 days, good thing I'm not really in this for the $$, laying in the buildings with the pen tool...I can see why some of you hate forests! Once I'm done, I'll select each district and change the colour of the fill, then once I'm happy with the 'art', I'll place in Indesign for the text which is far easier than using Ps.

Anyhow, enjoy. As usual any suggestions, critique is always welcome.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Fioracitta WIP2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	923.0 KB 
ID:	117982

Finished Maps

Thought I'd post another update.

Finally finished putting in the buildings, heck that was a lot of effort...

This is in greyscale as I wouldn't to see how it would look in print...

N.B: Images Copyright, The Design Mechanism 2019. Art by Jim Abbott. All rights reserved.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Fioracitta test.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	118072

Finished Maps

Hi folks,

Here is the final (?), subject to publisher approval, colour version of this map. The submitted version does not have the copyright information.

All up, I think this probably took me about 24-32 hours to do. Given that i'm far from a professional, that apart from the basic shape and district layout, i created it on the fly without a proper sketch to work from based on the authors text (a lot of reading) and it's my first 'proper' city map, i'm pretty darn happy with it.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Fioracitta.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	118090

Finished Maps

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast