Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The World of VAYU

Default The World of VAYU

Here's a world map commissioned for a private tabletop RPG party. The DM needed a map to light the spark and fill the world with sci fi mystical adventures. I was pretty free to propose whatever I liked and it was fun to do. That's also the first map I draw with my new laptop and, while 16Gb of RAM and a retina screen is a good upgrade, the screen resolution made me lose all my marks, I'll have to learn but, oh boy, it's comfortable to have more power !

The color version will follow with ornaments, hence the pretty barren border and compass. The black and white made it more difficult to show the variety of biomes and this will be fixed with the color version. As it is, the land is without labels because the client hasn't invented them yet. Original size : 42x21 cm.

As usual, all critics and comments are welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VAYU post.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	105062

© Thomas Rey - 2018 - All rights reserved
    Last edited by ThomasR; 03-03-2018 at 03:55 AM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Looking forward to see it colored ! You’re right about the difficulty to read it in black and white, unless you zoom in, then it’s a beauty, with so many details !

I love your display, the empty space in the middle with the compass catch the eye and invites us to visit the different parts. The ice up north covering the frame is a good move too !

I understand you work with a Mac, is that right ?

The map is cool, but i dont really like the font. Very hard to read :/
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Hey Thomas, looking great already! I love the shape of your continents, but have to nitpick about the double "shore lines" around the landmass. I think it's a bit too confusing in this scale (and ofc in b/w), especially with the island chains /archipelagos being partly smaller than the distance between the two lines (hope you get what i mean by it ). Looking forward to see the coloured and ornamented version of it!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Very nice map! Hope you get it colored fast

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Looking forward to see it colored ! You’re right about the difficulty to read it in black and white, unless you zoom in, then it’s a beauty, with so many details !

I love your display, the empty space in the middle with the compass catch the eye and invites us to visit the different parts. The ice up north covering the frame is a good move too !

I understand you work with a Mac, is that right ?
    Thanks Joel I saw Wingshaw do something similar with a border and wanted to try it. I do work with a MacBook Pro indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    The map is cool, but i dont really like the font. Very hard to read :/
    Thanks Voolf but, client's choice. He wanted something futuristic and that's the one he chose between my propositions. I upped the kerning to get more legibility but you are right, it can be difficult to read sometimes. I might try something with the color version.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Hey Thomas, looking great already! I love the shape of your continents, but have to nitpick about the double "shore lines" around the landmass. I think it's a bit too confusing in this scale (and ofc in b/w), especially with the island chains /archipelagos being partly smaller than the distance between the two lines (hope you get what i mean by it ). Looking forward to see the coloured and ornamented version of it!
    Thans Martin The shore waves were a lazy man's choice. the best way, given the scale would have been radial waves but I hate to use digitally generated ones and the aim was color so, I drew what took the less time even if it's not the best idea. In the color version, thos wave will disappear completely.

Quote Originally Posted by MapMappingMapped View Post
    Very nice map! Hope you get it colored fast
    Thanks MMM ! It'll be some time unfortunately

Guild Expert

Great job Thomas, I love the layout and the land masses it looks really good.

Nice looking map, as usual Thom. I don't mind the labels font, given the genre, but I can't help but feel that it looks out of place in this particular piece. That is, the style of the other map elements (e.g. the border and compass rose) looks like something you'd see in a typical fantasy map rather than a sci-fi piece (which isn't bad, but again doesn't seem to cohere as well with the font in my view). That aside, it is a nice piece.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Great job Thomas, I love the layout and the land masses it looks really good.
    Thanks kacey

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Nice looking map, as usual Thom. I don't mind the labels font, given the genre, but I can't help but feel that it looks out of place in this particular piece. That is, the style of the other map elements (e.g. the border and compass rose) looks like something you'd see in a typical fantasy map rather than a sci-fi piece (which isn't bad, but again doesn't seem to cohere as well with the font in my view). That aside, it is a nice piece.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    And you are right Tad. The border and compass don't fit the map. This black and white version is in the shadow of it's colored future self. As the client wants it colored in the end but needed this version first, it lacks many things. I plan on making those elements more scifi with glowing stuff and such. I realize maybe I shouldn't have posted it this soon but it's done and the critics will be profitable

Great map, I particularly like the land shapes and their general layout! I bet it also looks very nice once projected on a globe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast