Thread: Unnamed region map [CC3]

Default Unnamed region map [CC3]

Hey everyone,

I've been really getting into worldbuilding lately and my focus has been shifting towards mapmaking lately. I'm currently working on the regional map, in particular a political overview map. I started off with a basic map covering the land, lakes and rivers because I might use that one for a more geographical map later. But that aside, I currently have the political border in place and was wondering what else would be appropriate to use? Should I just add the country labels or maybe some cities as well? I'm looking forward to your suggestions and of course I would love to hear anything about the base map as well.

cheers, Sliceofmeat1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Placeholder Political.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	903.9 KB 
ID:	105113  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

In my opinion, a political map should focus on man-made things - borders, cities, roads, etc. Everything else is secondary. If adding a mountain range would make it hard to see all the names of the towns in the range's foothills, get rid of the mountains.

Well it depends how political the map is. Most maps are more of just a general overview that also happen to include political information, as opposed to political maps that also contain, say topographic information. Part of the reason for this is of course details of political information are in constant flux where as the generalities of politics are more stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Well it depends how political the map is. Most maps are more of just a general overview that also happen to include political information, as opposed to political maps that also contain, say topographic information. Part of the reason for this is of course details of political information are in constant flux where as the generalities of politics are more stable.
    I hadn't thought about it that way. It's true that my aim is to give a more general overview of the area so maybe political isn't the right term. With the new purpose of the map I decided to add some things, this is the WIP version with a quick look at the different elements. Would love to hear what you think!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Placeholder general.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	923.6 KB 
ID:	105126

Taking all the helpful tips into account I transformed the map into a general overview of the area, with region names instead of the names of the nations. I only need to find a way to add a nice title (the region is called the crimson coast). Anyone who has experience in adding titles with Gimp?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Placeholder general.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	105224
    Last edited by sliceofmeat1; 03-06-2018 at 10:19 AM.