Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: City map of Caragon

Looks good to me. You might want to keep the Northern aqueduct so long as the eastern one was not sufficient for their water needs. Rome had quite a few, all from different sources. Is the city using wells at all? As regards the moat it looks reasonable, although there is that hill in the North East, are you moving the hill? Also they may make a moat that is usually dry and that they can flood when needed, or they may make a permanent moat as you have there, it requires more upkeep though. If it is permanent the question arises if people are allowed to use it as a canal, or to bypass the city.

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Arkidemis's Avatar

I think the concept looks pretty solid so far. The only part of the moat I feel doesn't make sense, and I hesitate to mention it, is the island that was created on the river. I think with or without the island it will be aesthetically pleasing and defensible. If anyone has better input on that please correct me.

Thanks again for your thoughts and input!

@Falconius: Yes, I am moving the hill. When looking at the old map it seemed strange to me that you would build the city wall up and down the hill instead of a little bit to the Southwest.
    A dry moat that can be flooded is a good suggestion. On the one hand I think this would be more reasonable, but on the other hand I kind of like the moat. I will have to think about it.

@Arkidemis: I also wasn't very sure about the island, but couldn't think of creating a moat there without creating an island. Do you think it would make more sense digging a moat only at the east and south part of the city wall? And there would also be Falconius' solution with a dry moat.
    But then I'm thinking of the Donauinsel here in Vienna - an island on the Danube which was created by digging a channel. Of course it is a completely different time period and a completely different purpose (in Vienna it's for flood protection) - but are there reasons why such an island couldn't be possible (or would be highly unlikely) in an ancient city?

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Arkidemis's Avatar

I honestly could not give you a conclusive anwer. I'll be the first to admit my knowledge on the topic is far from complete. However, I feel there are a few questions that should be answered. How was that island created (man-made or natural)? What purpose does the island serve, flood control like the Donauinsel, structural support for the bridge, or some other reason? If it was man-made, does the town have the labor, resources, and time to devote to such a project?

I just assumed you wanted an island there, it looks rather fetching. There is no need for a moat on that side, there is no place for an enemy to form an attack there unharried before they get to the walls, as soon as they cross or come up the river they have already committed to it and that little area between the river and the wall would be a death trap. If the city would like, it could build the walls right up to the river though that kind of massive engineering at the edge of a river may prove difficult and unproductive. As for creating the island for the reason of being a moat I think it is a valid form of defence there as it makes that sliver of land and assaulting the walls that much more difficult for an attacker.

Yes the island was my result of creating a moat there, not the other way round.
    When reading your answers I began to realise that a moat would not make a lot of sense there ... oh dear, feeling a bit stupid now. Thanks for the further explanations, Falconius and Arkidemis!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12