Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks good what do the colored lines represent?
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    Looks good what do the colored lines represent?
    I would guess political borders...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Member

yep, it did it like that in the tut, so I did it on my attempt.

This may seem like an elementary question, but what is the text effect used for the gold chrome-ish country names? I can't seem to get the PS settings right. It really is a good contrast.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I just got back from vacation so I'll look this up tomorrow night, it's all layer styles so I'll post up the screenies.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Question

Can't get it to work. There either a step missing or I'm too dammed dumb to figure it out (I attended public school in the south).
    I'm using PS CS5 on a Mac (I know, elitist asshole, or just ass according to the Ex), and I'm consistently unable to get past step 21. I can get to that step, but once done I don't have anything remotely resembling the picture in the tutorial.
    There are, for me, some sticking points.

Step 10, when Merging Down, should I end up with a layer named "base" or "ocean"
    Step 20, I end up with 6 layers each time (eight successful attempts that have made it to step 20)
    Step 21, my feeble public school educated mind can't handle all this at once.
    So first I'm supposed to chose the "base" layer. Then I'm supposed to go to the Select menu, the choose Inverse. BUT, I can't. There's something that I'm supposed to do first, it just escapes my mind (was it ever there?) What is the point of this step? Maybe if I know what I'm supposed to accomplish, I can (with the help of magical cats) come up with a work around that won't fall out of my head.
    The picture in step 22 is not what I have at point. No matter what layer I hide or not. I'm assuming, again, that I'm supposed to be in the "Land" layer at that point. I've done that and ended up with thisClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2010-10-10 at 11.01.57 PM.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	30089

With all that, where did I go wrong?
    Anyone, so my internal sarcasm can end.

Did I read that someone converted this tut to GIMP? Anyone have a link to it? Thanks.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ctrl-click on the base layer (in the layer palette)...on mac I think it's cmd-click. Then click back on the land layer. Select-Inverse. Hit the delete key on the keyboard. Deselect. Your land will now be trimmed to the shape of the base layer.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wow, that worked. I feel like i dropped 75 IQ points somewhere.
    Thanks
    You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.

Blog Entries

I cannot seem to find the link to Giddes conversion anywhere so here it is Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ascension's Atlas Style in GIMP(2).pdf 
Views:	7583 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	30650

Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast