Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637

Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Wip

Got through the GIMP steps, now just need to get to labeling!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ascension_atlas_2nd.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	5.33 MB 
ID:	86326

### Latest WIP ###

Hello everyone, this is my first post in the Guild!

I have been working on a couple of Maps following this amazing tutorial (well, the GIMP version by Gedde of it at least) and this is my latest Work In Progress. I am quite proud of it and can't wait to get on with the next steps (rivers, borders, roads and naming), but I have ended up being stuck for a few issues.

Name:	Map.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	86764

I apologise if I ask any silly question or anything already asked before, but it is kind of hard/not very user friendly (at least to me) navigating this forum and this specific thread, and on top of that I am a basic user when it comes to image editing programs. Still, I am amazed at how much I could learn and the result I could produce thanks to this fantastic tutorial!

On with my issues, to which I would appreciate if anyone can help me with:

1) There is no clear explanation on lakes. How should I go about them, or what can I refer to if there is a separate guide? The original tutorial by Ascension has also lakes included, but the GIMP process leaves them out.
    Should I draw them like I draw the rivers and borders, or is there anything that takes into account the "height map" in the Ocean Layer and automatically can map lakes in the areas of depression?

2) I am absolutely not satisfied with my mountains. I am fairly sure I followed the process religiously until now, but the mountains do not look as "sharp", but rather grainy. And the snowcaps are not really around. You can see a closeup below.
    Am I doing anything wrong? Maybe I am using an outdated version of the tutorial? Is there a separate guide for mountains somewhere else?
    Also, I would like to add a few mountains, but there is only mention of deleting them in the tutorial.
    I do not mind redoing the whole mountains/hills/snowcaps etc process again.

Name:	MapCloseup.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	86765

Help Slight problem with the GIMP steps

I'm following them to the letter, but when I get to step 1l (removing the Noise, Clip and Coastline layers) I am left only black sea which doesn't match the screenshots.

Does anyone know what order the noise, clip and coastline layers should be in? My guess from the tutorial is that they are in that order. I'm using GIMP 2.8 BTW.

It also might be relevant that I already have a coastline, so I am using the selection of that outline to limit the area I am painting for the land clouds.

Question Palette

I'm struggling to find the palette for Gidde's GIMP version of the tutorial, where is it?

Default Gimp Tutorial

I followed the Gimp tutorial (at least up to the adding tiny details bit of it) and this is the result. I am pretty happy with it.

Name:	practice.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	6.53 MB 
ID:	94069

I noticed there were quite a few steps where Gedde assumed people knew where effects were and didn't clearly explain when certain things needed to be hid or unhid (selected or unselected, as well). I was able to get through it pretty well with my experience in the program, but I think it would be worth revising with a few clarifications. I may try to get around to it, with Gedde's approval (I am new and don't want to step on someone's toes). I am really happy with my results and can't give Gedde enough praise for the tutorial (as I would have been lost trying to replicate Ascensions original tutorial into GIMP).
    Last edited by roguecartographer; 03-28-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Is anyone else trying to use this with GIMP 2.10?
    even looking at the GIMP version of the tutorial there have definitely been some significant changes to menus/tools in the interim.
    Last edited by science&creativity; 11-15-2020 at 02:21 PM.

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637