Thread: Vúrarada - Arneg Vail

Default Vúrarada - Arneg Vail

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arneg Vail Top Down Colored.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	354.1 KB 
ID:	105296
    This is a different art style than I'm used to. I did a top down map which is far different than usual. I liked how most of it turned out but for the concept of it being a harsh area that is very untamed I don't think I conveyed that well enough. I think that I may make another version with more mountains and some more varied terrain indicated by different color forest, a large canyon and some smaller mountains/mountain ranges spread about including some larger valleys. Additionally I may take some of the forest away and replace it with grass and plains which I have running much of the shore of the province.

The map is of the Arneg Vail a province of the nation of Verune located on the continent of Maelwenn. Maelwenn also contains the nations of Gudram, Werrik and Oswin.

The nations on this continent would be akin to the old Anglo-Saxon nations of 5-11th century Britain for culture. These nation’s province governors and other “official” positions as a whole are based on meritocracies rather than oligarchies, monarchies, democracies or other types of governments. One’s worth is based on their deeds not only on the battlefield, though this is most common, but in other aspects of life. Based on one’s deeds an individual can expect to garner higher or lower social standing. It should be noted that this system doesn’t always work and often times it corrupted.

The Arneg Vail starts at the range of mountains which create a natural choke point into the peninsula. The land area West of the mountains is around 21,000 sq miles and contains around 650,000 people. There are two large cities with 12,000 and 8,500 or so individuals with about 18 larger towns with between 1000-8000 people accounting for another 14,000 or so people. The rest of the area has small clusters of villages and towns though my intent was to have them clustered and separated by natural obstacles and harsh terrain (thus my initial comments).

Note that the color depth in the photograph doesn't quite convey the actual shading and colors on the original.

It looks good! I really like this artstyle, recently got on here to get ideas for the world I am building and really appreciate all of the amazing people on here who make amazing art

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Arkidemis's Avatar

A great start to the map. I feel that with the style you took, it does portray the untamed look fairly well. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but is this hand drawn with colored pencil?

I'm intrested to see what you do with it from here

Yes it is hand drawn with colored pencils. ^_^ I'm not sure what to add to it to make it fit more what I'm going for. I've tabled it for now until I have more time to devote to the idea.