Thread: City Street Layout Help

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Info City Street Layout Help

Hi all,

So I've started up a new city map. I'm in the preliminary stages at this point, and wanted to get some thoughts from you folks, specifically on the street layout. This city spans a massive bridge about 2 miles long, and about a third of a mile wide, connecting two continents. I am envisioning a wide boulevard right down the middle of the bridge, which is about 120 ft wide. In the middle is a large square, with 30 ft wide streets extending from the corners to the ends of the bridge.

I've started on the smaller streets, as you can see, and they are very web-like. I want to know if this is acceptable? I know it might make more sense for it to be more grid-like, but I'm really not a fan of grid as it looks kind of bland. If it makes more sense, I will do it. But I wanted to see what you guys thought. All other thoughts on the map are welcome as well!

If it helps, the bridge was built by god-like characters in my world, which is the justification I am using for the engineering to make sense. Either way, it just started out as a plain bridge, with no buildings or anything. It was meant to facilitate the free movement of large swaths of men from one continent to the other. Over time, the humans began to settle on the bridge as inns and taverns were built to house weary travelers. Over time, a city began to grow from there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newest.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	105364