Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laelith - isometric ... kind of WIP

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Dain's Avatar

Default Laelith - isometric ... kind of WIP

Hi guys,
    I admit it's been quite a long time since I came here to propose something interesting enough.
    I guess the coming of great artists kind of intimidate me somehow ..
    Trying to fix that matter(s), here comes my last project.

For the records, Laelith has been created and described in 1986, in a french magazine called Casus Belli (Rpg mag)
    Following a successful crowdfunding, a new Laelith is coming very soon. This map is one of the commissions related to the project.
    Hope you'll enjoy it.
    Resolution has been reduced to avoid excessive loading time. Original file is 13k x 8,5K pixels (yes, ouch!)
    Everything's been done by hand. On paper first, digitalized and tortured on PS afterward.

This is the "final" version as it will appear in the 400 pages book. General feedback is quite good, however, I'm not happy enough about it.
    As our fellow artist Akae proved it, Colour can make maps Rock as hell! I've decided to give it a try.
    Then, where else could I've came than here, and get your opinion about the map ?

It's going to be a journey, but I have to walk along that road if I want to improve, right ?

Comments are welcome, as usual. May they be positive or not ^^
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laelith-1-final-small.jpg 
Views:	585 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	104661  

..... ......
    Holy cow, Fred!!! That is crazy awesome.
    I am gonna have to spend some time wandering those streets, after work.
    I will look more in depth tonight, but on quick glance this piece looks so well done, can't really spot anything wrong at all.
    Man, that is an epic, gorgeous piece of work, my friend. This might well be my choice for next years Atlas city map.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

This is incredible!

Héhé ... I just shared BBE's link on twitter with the Guild's account. Fantastique boulot encore une fois ! And it's a pleasure to be able to look at your wonderful lines once again. The layout makes me think about Steffen Brand's Travar map. It's amazing ! As John said, it'll take some times to look at it closely and get you useful feedback. Glad to see your gems back at the Guild

EDIT : I'd love to know what the name of the font is. I remember seing it in LeGrumph's games like "Mantel d'Acier".
    Last edited by ThomasR; 02-19-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Hi ! What a work !
    And now you're doing it with colors ? That's dedication ! I can't wait to see it !
    As a matter of fact, I'm old enough to remember the Casus Belli magazine in 86 (more or less... it's a long time ago).
    I do remember (and correct me if I'm wrong) that there was a RPG with that name "Laelith", wasn't it ? Anyway, I remember well the magazine and the "one shot" adventures offered, sometimes with it's own game system.... Good memories !

I was surprised to discover your location (IRL)... I'm quite new at the guild, and I don't remember having seen a post from you since I arrived... I would have remembered a guild member practically in my neighborhood (Blonay est très sympathique... je sais que j'y suis passé pour le train à vapeur !) I hope everything's fine for you in your area and I hope to have news from you soon !

Guild Apprentice

All those buildings.... Wow! I do like that rift bisecting the city. I've always loved fantasy cities laid out over unusual landforms; it gives them so much more character.

Guild Adept

This map is crazy! really big big work! I love <3
    Vraiment super travail Fred, sacré taf de fou. Y a vraiment une minutie et un travail de dingue. Bravo

This may very well be the most impressive city map I have ever seen! o_O It inspires me so much! Just after looking at it for a minute, there's tons of things I want to try myself!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

This map is simply stunning. My jaw literally dropped when the screen opened and I saw all of the details in the map. I have a question if you wouldn't mind curing my curiosity, How long did this take to complete?

This is a fantastic map, Dain! As always, your work is remarkable

If I were to offer any comment it would only be that the linework seems rather heavy. Or perhaps it is the dark grey of the rooftops. The overall effect is quite dark, I think, but adding colour will perhaps let you drop the opacity of the lines to lighten the whole image.

Aside from that nitpick, I agree with everyone else's comments: c'est spectaculaire!

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast