Thread: The Continent of Komarno--Realistic Rendering and Tectonics

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Default The Continent of Komarno--Realistic Rendering and Tectonics

First of all, thank you so much to Arsheesh and Pixie, for being so helpful and gracious. Not only have they encouraged me to continue submitting maps (which I will certainly strive for!), but they also critiqued my last project, Azaria. Thus I've tried not to repeat the mistakes I made with that project, namely the lack of flood plains and the scarcity of flat areas (plus a couple others). I surely hope the following looks a bit more realistic than the last.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Argornia.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	5.29 MB 
ID:	105409

The above map shows a general Wilbur relief of the continent;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArgorniaElev.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	3.33 MB 
ID:	105410

while this one (above) is colour coded to show altitude.

Let me know what you think.

Peter

Those both look pretty nice to me. Lovely work so far!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Is the interior of that main landmass arid?
    I see rivers that go nowhere - they seem to just stop,
    or they empty into a lake that doesn't have an outlet.

I'm with bkh1914 here. There are too many endorheic basins in here. It hampers plausibility.. Have a prolonged look at the topographical maps of Africa, South America and India. In my opinion, you could aim for something a little more like that.

... sent from mobile ...

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Yes, I was aware of the problem with my rivers even as I was submitting the map, rationalizing for their wayward behaviour with out-of-the-box explanations, such as "sinking into limestone caverns" or simply "evaporating." Normally, I would prevent this from occurring by ensuring the complete absence of tiny inland lakes, for the "Fill Basins" function in Wilbur doesn't fill these in. As it happens, when I run the "Incise Flow" function, even a lake measuring one pixel in area will result in a misrouted river. I'll certainly mind these tiny lakes in my next submission. Be the way, how are the flood plains? I tried to use the "Remap Altitudes" function to level off some of the topography, to create more flat areas, as Pixie suggested for my last map. I'm right now working on a major project, and I'll definitely keep all your suggestions in mind. Thank you for your criticism.