Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ...And Now Your Winners!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default ...And Now Your Winners!

Well that was fun, wasn't it? The journey that began last January when the first maps of 2017 began to roll in is now over. I take great honor in presenting your 2017 Atlas Award winners!

For Best World Map:

Atlas of Thersis, by Naima

This came as no real surprise. A clear winner, this map to me epitomizes everything grand about our hobby and passion. It is a real, workable, authentic map... of a place that never existed. The presentation is top-notch and flawless. It's so well-executed it makes one want to turn the page and see what the next map is. Kudos to Naima!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WorldMap2017.jpg 
Views:	473 
Size:	5.37 MB 
ID:	105456

For Best Regional Map:

Atlantide Regional Map, by Warlin

If you haven't already, be sure to check out Warlin's entire set of Atlantide maps. Any one of them is a winner from top to bottom, but this one is definitely something special. With its painstakingly real biomes, river systems, and mountain ranges, its spot-on font choices and labeling, and the sense it evokes of a place that really could exist just off the coast of Morocco, this map is wonderful.

Name:	RegionalMap2017.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	4.62 MB 
ID:	105457

For Best City, Town, or Village Map:

Travar, by SteffenBrand

It really boggles the mind when you come across a map like this, something so intricate, so well-crafted, and so magnificent, you can't quite believe one man created it. Well, one man did, and that man is Steffen Brand. Truly a labor of love, Travar is so rich in detail you can spend hours poring over it. The folks who commissioned it were lucky indeed.

Name:	City2017.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	105458

For Best Hand-Drawn or Traditional Map:

Oravský Podzámok Map, by FrancescaBaerald

No stranger to Atlas Awards, Francesca snatches another one! One almost feels as if she must be a reincarnation of some medieval painter monk, so well does she evoke a sense of time and place in her gorgeous painting/maps. Not only is the map itself lovely, with a pitch-perfect sense of scale and dimension, the border... the border. It almost defies description. Every bit of it is harmonious and vibrant and tells a story in and of itself.

Name:	Hand2017.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	815.3 KB 
ID:	105459

For Best Space, Sci-fi, or Modern Map, we have a two-way tie!

Resurgence Stellar Systems, by Ilanthar

Ilanthar has been doing some grand work in his Resurgence Universe, of which this map is but one shining example. Be sure to check them all out - you won't be disappointed. They never grow old or repetitious; each one has its own unique charms and horrors, its own politics and statistics. And as if that wasn't enough, there are planetary maps for many of the worlds as well!

Name:	Space2017A.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	105460

Wicked World Games - Claret, by Obbehobbe

Another master in the fine art of science fiction mapping, Obbehobbe has turned out a dark wonder of a planetary map with Claret. With terrain so real you can feel it, and the delicate traceries of its massive super-cities picked out in the lights of the nightside, the map's commissioners scored a real gem.

Name:	Space2017B.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	597.0 KB 
ID:	105461

For Best Structure, Dungeon, or Gaming Map:

HMS Harewood, by DanielHasenbos

Have you ever wondered what a flying ship would look like? You don't have to wonder any more, just take a look at this beauty. With a depth of detail found only in maps by the truly dedicated, and a subtle, brilliant wash of color, HMS Harewood feels like something that could truly be found in a Napoleonic Museum somewhere... except for the fact that it, er, flies.

Name:	Structure2017.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	5.19 MB 
ID:	105462

For Most Creative Map:

The Road to Tiamis, by Mouse

It's been one of my greatest thrills over the last year and half watching Mouse's craft grow and improve, and this map may summarize it the best. It's got everything, really: breath-taking landscapes, a forbidding sky, clearly legible labels that don't detract from the art, magnificent colors, wonderful perspective... the list goes on. But beyond that, this is a map that tells a story. Even if you know nothing about the creative process that went into making it, you can still fall into its sense of mystery and adventure. A winner beyond doubt.

Name:	Creative2017.JPG 
Views:	371 
Size:	5.92 MB 
ID:	105463

For Best Overall Map, we've got a THREE-way tie! (This one was a real dog-fight.)

The Independent Territories of Belthennia, by onez

Another lovely hand-drawn piece of artistry by Onez! It's rare to find a fantasy map that displays that just-right combination of art, clarity, and usefulness, but this map has all three qualities in spades. You feel as though you could play a game with nothing but this map - its so inspiring and full of adventure hooks you almost don't even need a supplemental guide for it.

Name:	Best2017A.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	375.1 KB 
ID:	105464

Harlasea, by J.Edward

And yet another perspective masterpiece by Sir J.Edward. His obsessively rendered physical landscapes are always beautiful to behold. His machine-like precision never comes across as artificial or forced though - you can feel the love of craft and attention to detail in every pen-stroke. When you add in his skill in depicting creatures like our friend the Wyvern here, as well as his mastery of color and shadow, you can toss another trophy up on his shelf for sure.

Name:	Best2017B.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	3.27 MB 
ID:	105465

Desert Dragon, by Shall Teclex

Along with J.Edward's entry, this map by Shall Teclex is another entry from our July Challenge - there was something in the water THAT month, apparently. Shall Teclex is another true Guild Master - she always brings something new and exciting to the game, and this map is no exception. Taking a simple fifteen-word prompt, she ran with it, creating something breath-taking in its both its simplicity and the depth of idea and setting it conveys. Every single piece of this map works together as a whole, from the layout to the text to the muted, unconventional color scheme.

Name:	Best2017C.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	3.38 MB 
ID:	105466

And that brings to an end this year's Atlas Awards. Feel free to discuss, congratulate the winners, celebrate (within reason), bitch (also within reason), tell us what you like, and what we could've done better.

There will be more information forthcoming later in the week/next week showing a bit more of the voting breakdown, since you requested it. Stay tuned for that.
    Last edited by Diamond; 03-12-2018 at 11:34 PM.

There are so many congratulations that need to be spread around:

Congratulations to Diamond and ChickPea for running this entire operation so smoothly, keeping the suspense building right up to the final moments!

Congratulations to each artist that was nominated for the awards! Every map nominated was worthy, in my opinion...

And, most of all, congratulations to the winners!!! Some of those maps I voted for, and some of them I didn't, but they are all, without question, magnificent artworks!

I'm already looking forward to seeing what works of art come out of 2018

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Yup, what Wingshaw said. Props to Diamond and Chickpea for all their hard work. And congrats to everyone who was nominated for an atlas award, especially those who won one. Fantastic work all around.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

...And all the winners should now have their bling firmly attached to their profiles. NOW THE WORLD WILL KNOW!!!! ...that you're awesome.

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Arkidemis's Avatar

Congratulations to everyone, you all did a fantastic job!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Congrats to all the winners! May you enjoy your new bling and eternal glory

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Congratulations to the winners!

Congratulations to those who were nominated!

And a hearty thank you to those who took time out of their busy lives to set all of this up for us to vote on. Well done everyone!

Well-deserved wins all around, congratulations to everyone!

And as others have said, a big thank you to the folks who made this possible. I already look forward to seeing what this year will bring, keep mapping everyone! You guys rock! <3
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Hello and Congratulations to everyone that partecipated, I had really a hard time to not select more than one entry for each category , many were deserving .
    Congratulations also for the organization of the voting and the very same award .
    Its an honour to have been selected as a winner, I actually didn't expect at all but I guess this gives me a little more confidence in what i did thankyou Very much .
    Oh and that globe is so cool ^^ ...

Huge congratz to the winners and a great tip of the hat to CP & D. The best overall map tie is a blast btw

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast