Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
Though, I was curious as to why it is too big for a farmhouse? I haven't even posted a scale yet.
Lots of little things, none of which are conclusive, but together they all point towards it not being a farmhouse.

• The land doesn't look like farm land - too many trees and/or rocks and no signs of cultivation. Maybe ranch land but not tillable crop land.
  • The shape of the house. In my experience, older farm houses tend to be more square, which generally gives more floor space per dollar (or whatever currency).
  • The building has two significant wings at the one end and a smaller wing at the other. That implies extra bedrooms and/or a very rich farmer. Or plantation owner.
  • Farming is a low profit margin business and farmers normally plow any extra money back into their business - bigger barns, better tools and equipment, etc. Not into a bigger, fancier farmhouse. Farmers rarely try to keep up with 'the Jones'. They can't afford to if they want to still be in business after a bad year or three.
  • On a farm, barns and other outbuildings occupy a lot more space than the house does. A lot more space. Unless it's a ranch and the cattle live on the range all year long. There isn't enough cleared space near that building for those outbuildings.

Mostly it was the shape of the building. The other things are supporting indicators.

Many years ago, I grew up across the street from a small dairy farm. Actually, the pasture was across the street and the farm was down the road a ways. And I currently live way out in the country, where there are more cows (and deer) per square mile than there are people. [And internet access is very slow.]

-bkh