Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Thirteenth Hour - World Map

Guild Apprentice

Map The Thirteenth Hour - World Map

The only map I have ever worked on. Almost 20 years of progression:

© Bjoern Frank - 2018 - All rights reserved

Last edited by Edzard; 03-10-2018 at 06:28 PM.

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Arkidemis's Avatar

It definitely shows you have put a lot of effort into the map. From what you posted it looks like just a basic map thats impressive by itself, and then you zoom in. Fantastic job! Whats the story behind the map, if you don't mind my asking?

Looks great, and I like the landforms. The towns and buildings are perhaps the best part though, really well done and they convey a nice atmosphere.
    I do wish there was a legend though, whilst you are no doubt familiar with every detail, others aren't going to know what the various symbols are. I'm making assumptions that they represent dwarfs and elves and a variety of humans, but the details and the veracity of that guess are obviously beyond my knowledge. A scale may also be nice. The compass rose is badass BTW.

As an aside; I am curious as to why you've only ever worked on one map?

Guild Apprentice

Thank you Arkidemis, thank you Falconius,

the history behind this map is quite simple. My friends and I started playing "The Dark Eye" back when we were about 12 or 13 yrs old. Pretty soon we came to the concusion that all the rules of the game were too restrictive. To us, it was more about the Story and so we started our own ‘laid-back’ variant and called it ‘The Thirteenth Hour.’
    I began to draw this map and with each night in which we plunged into a new adventure, the map grew naturally.

The reason I never started an other map is... sounds weird... that it feels like a betrayal to this (for me) living world.

Falconius, you're right. The symbols are representing the differend races. It was just an idea. I currently started drawing different coats of arms for each city. So I don't added a legend yet (I know this thread is for finished maps - but this one will never be finished, we're still doing our game nights).

But now I have this idea of settle over to a whole new continent.
    And also, I need to draw the dwarven underworld too.
    And of course city maps.

A scale is an exelent Idea - but now I have to figure out which scaling is realistic.

What an impressive map! The style is beautiful and I love the names. I agree with Falconius - a legend would be very helpful.

What's the meaning behind the face in the North-East of the compass rose?

*whistle* Wow, this is a pretty darn impressive. I can't seem to be able to zoom in though, I'd love to see the details others have been talking about...

I'm a huge sucker for dark, texture-heavy maps and this really hits a sweet spot for me in that regard. The colors are just beautiful, and as far as I can tell the city icons are indeed pretty impressive. If I had to critique something, I'd say the ocean labels are a bit large for my taste (and I'll have to confess not being a massive fan of that font), but that really is a minor nitpick.

I have to say, I can relate to your not having made any other maps - I tend to feel that way too, and I mostly just map my own worldbuilding project over and over again Working on random maps can be pretty fun too, though, once you get into it. Give it a go sometimes, you might find you enjoy the freedom that comes with just making everything up as you go along.

Congratulations on putting this 20 year effort to visual form! I look forward to seeing more.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Apprentice

Thank you Neyasha, thank you Kelleri for your kind words.

The names of the mountains are often inspired by my childhood memories of hiking in Austria - wandern auf dem Frudiger

Okay - after I put some new coats of arms and other symbols in (currently I'm thinking of making some little marks that showing important places of our journey), I’ll starting make a legend.

The wind rose has no special meaning. I drew it for an older version of this map. It was one of my first attempts to draw on an tablet. I wanted to keep it and added it to the new one.

Kelleri, maybe this link works for the full solution:
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/a...7&d=1520722400

Very cool! I have this map in my inspiration folder for years, I think. I especially love the land shapes.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Very cool! I have this map in my inspiration folder for years, I think. I especially love the land shapes.
    What a great honor, thank you.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Extremely cool style!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast