Thread: Another Newbie wants to make maps

Default Another Newbie wants to make maps

Hi guys. I am a semi-professional programmer (since 5 years).

Since some weeks I cant get this impulse out of my head to create a mobile game (I use unity). The Idea is simple: you walk on a (medieval / fantasy) map with a knight and explore the world. The Idea is to keep the game very simple: you only walk around and you can place buildings only where your knight is to gain resources...

Now of course I dont have the money to pay thousands for some one else to make me a map, and if i had i wouldnt want to. I am using photoshop since some years and have some knowledge about it so I would like to do maps myself.

My first trials though were so bad that I won't post them here. Maybe I didnt invest enough time so I was not patient enough to make it better. A thing that is maybe very important is patience.

Anyway I hope to find some support on my unity mission here.

Blog Entries

Hello fwka92.
    I think that is a good motivation.
    Welcome to the guild! Here are various inspiration and guidance.

Guild Apprentice

Default Welcome

Hi fwka92, and welcome. I am new here myself, so know it can be intimidating seeing all the wonderful work here at the Cartographers Guild.

If it were me, I would go back and have another go. If you still aren't satisfied with the results, try to understand what is not working for you, or why you are unhappy with the results. It could be a small matter of adjustment to your choice of colour for example, or that your line needs to be better considered. Trying to consider the formal elements (line, tone, colour, scale, pattern composition etc) may help here also.

If there is a map here that you find inspirational or just what you are looking for, then ask that person how they create their maps, I am sure that they will be happy to help/guide you. You could even try and use some of the excellent tutorials on this site, to enhance what you already have.

In my book practice always makes perfect. I know it can be a bind, and time these days is very short for most, but just keep going, and one day you will hopefully have enough faith in your own ability and work to post here.

I look forward to that time

Jeremy