Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Paizo Open Call

Post Dumb question

Erm a real dumb question here ...

So I should send a self created map or can/should I redo one of their maps?

Not that I belive that I stand a real chance, but it would be fun to participate.
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Post Honestly...

Sagenlicht, honestly, I think the Open Call is to better versions of those specific maps given as samples on Paizo's page. However, if you already have a city map or other example similar to what they ask, it would work fine.

I think of a "turn-over" map, as here's the publisher's intent, can you as a cartographer create a version that looks more professional? That's their intended goal.

When I said, I was going to do a city map, I was planning on remaking the large city map of their four samples.

But, also, since I posted my portfolio, and I am overworked with my Profantasy commission, I might not participate at all. Especially, since, now I don't need to. As said, though, if I have time, I will try and the big city map is my planned attempt.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Thanks GP

Well then I am going to redo one of their maps, prolly map #4 the goblin encampment/lair. Mainly cause I havent done any inside buildings yet, gonna learn something then
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

They're gonna be swamped with submissions from us. I really hope one of us gets the job.

As to medium to large size RPG publishers, like Paizo, I think their goal is to find a stable of quality cartographers - not just a single mapper for a single job. So I'm sure they'll take on as many as they need, perhaps 4 to 6 cartographers in total. Paizo has multiple publications, in addition to their own Runelords, and Second Darkness games.

I'm sure more than one CG'er will get work from Paizo!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I have yet to hear back from them...but it's only been one day.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I sent in two submissions yesterday at about 8:30am central time, and got a response back at just after 2 pm the same day. Here's what it said:

Quote Originally Posted by James Jacobs
    Hi there, Scott!

First of all, thanks for sending in a couple of maps for me to check out!

Map turnovers in color are always a bonus; we print all our maps in color, and when we can give our cartographer a color turnover (even if it's a relatively simple turnover with color added in by the fill command in Photoshop) it makes for an easier transition to the final map in print.

Village in the Woods: This map's a bit too realistic, in that a good RPG map shouldn't necessarily look like a satellite photo. The GM needs to be able to see what's in the woods. He needs to see how the exact outline of a building goes. Also, there's no obvious trails or roads here, or any ferries or docks or bridges on the river—I would expect something to be along a river bank even in the smallest village. Also missing is a scale to indicate distance. The map's title is cool; an easy to read font that isn't boring. Adding in roads would be good, because that gives the village a shape rather than just looking like someone dropped a bunch of buildings down on the ground and let them land wherever they may. People don't really build buildings randomly—towns and cities need to look artificial and not random. Finally... while the canvas effect is interesting, it makes the map less precise and more distracting; clarity is key for RPG maps.

Qwinyon Shai: This map's a MUCH better map; the buildings are obvious, there's stuff going on on the river, and the town itself has a definite shape. The crumbling, ruined wall adds a neat element of adventure and danger. And there's a scale bar to help with distances. The two main problems I'd have with this map is the fact that there's no roads. There's places where roads can go, with the boundaries set up by the pattern the buildings are in, but no actual lines or patterns indicating traffic flow... especially once you get outside the city. And even more so once you move off the main obvious tracks and into the clusters of buildings themselves; there's no alleys, really, just a random looking scattering of strange shapes. Again... an RPG map shouldn't look like a satellite picture; we need to see hard, stark lines to show the way roads go. My second concern is the buildings themselves; some of the building shapes look like buildings, but others look like blocks of buildings or just random shapes. Since all of the buildings have the same pattern, we can't tell if we're looking at one building or a lot of them. It's a LOT more work, but drawing in the roof lines for every single building in the map is basically what I'd want to see in this case—that, and a retention of building organization deep in the building clusters where we can have winding alleys and not just a random splatter of building shapes.

Finally... one last thing that's important for maps is tags. What are the names of the streets? Where are the important buildings? What's the name of the river? Names and tags like that go a long way toward helping make a map exciting and interesting.

Thanks again for sending the maps in!
    So I'm not expecting any jobs or anything, but the critique was definitely full of useful information.

-IG

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Glad that I wasn't considering submitting anything, they'd raid my house and throw me in a gulag for my satellite style.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

LOL, Yeah I just read that and thought "Oh well thats me out then..."

Too realistic. Well... They won't like my style either then.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast