Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Falls Park Greenville SC map 2016 [2018 edit]

Map Falls Park Greenville SC map 2016 [2018 edit]

I built my first website in 2016. Built isn't fair, really. But, what the hell.
    And the very first client to contact me from my then new website was a person from the city of Greenville.
    They needed a new rendering of the award winning Falls Park and the addition of the new Cancer Survivors park.
    I love architectural and landscape rendering. When younger, I wanted to be an architect, as well as a landscape designer.
    I did some landscape design for a while with a small landscape company in Charlotte many years back.

The version the client asked for had no text, but I tend toward presenting completed pieces online, so I added some.
    This one was tough, as it had to be very accurate but I could not be on-site. I had to scour the net for additional reference photos.
    Fortunately it is a popular park, so I found enough people's photos from their visits.
    Real world maps and renderings can be challenging when there is limited reference, but they are also very fun and satisfying to work on.

Unfortunately, the city has had budget issues and this version has not been put into active use yet.
    Which is a shame, as it was commissioned 2 years ago. It will always remind me of my first website though.

Falls Park - city of Greenville, SC
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Falls Park Greenville SC map 2016 [2018 edit] by John Stevenson 50.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	105637

That's really cool to see your style on a 'modern' map! Very beautifull as always

Quote Originally Posted by Francissimo View Post
    That's really cool to see your style on a 'modern' map! Very beautifull as always
    Thanks Francissimo
    It was fun to do that - fantasy style for real world place.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Thanks Francissimo
    It was fun to do that - fantasy style for real world place.
    The way you mix a modern map style with a more artistic approach is really interesting! I sometimes have the chance to try a fantasy style on modern gis maps at work, to see that kind of approach with your style is really a good inspiration, thx for sharing

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

I lived in Simpsonville , SC for 5 years! Very cool to see a map of Greenville, great job!

Quote Originally Posted by Francissimo View Post
    The way you mix a modern map style with a more artistic approach is really interesting! I sometimes have the chance to try a fantasy style on modern gis maps at work, to see that kind of approach with your style is really a good inspiration, thx for sharing
    I think the realm of real world maps and plan drawings and diagrams definitely has space for stuff like this.
    I've had some other inquiries for some similar types of projects, but unfortunately they don't seem to have the budget for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEpic View Post
    I lived in Simpsonville , SC for 5 years! Very cool to see a map of Greenville, great job!
    Thanks Jared
    My brother used to live down near Greenville.
    I'd visit from Charlotte and we'd go hiking or visit downtown Greenville.
    So I did get to actually visit Falls Park several times before being commissioned to do this.
    I think it helped that I had visited. I knew how some of those spots felt to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I think the realm of real world maps and plan drawings and diagrams definitely has space for stuff like this.
    I've had some other inquiries for some similar types of projects, but unfortunately they don't seem to have the budget for it.
    The problem with real world map is that people get used to stuff like google maps, they forget doing a map from scratch is a damn long work

Great project. I love it. Even the buildings without colour seem to match everything perfectly. I guess you had fun with shading so much trees ?
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Wish i could see an info map from you strolling in a park one day. It would made my day for sure The lovely detailed flowerbeds and rock formations along the river look especially spectacular on this map!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That is pretty damn amazing, John. The painstaking amount of detail is just so well done - at no point does it overwhelm the map. You really do have some mad skills.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast