Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mar / April '18 Lite Challenge: Ascension Pass

Wip Mar / April '18 Lite Challenge: Ascension Pass

Right, let's kick this off.

This time I'm going to be trying a bit more real drawing, so apologies in advance if it looks like the scribbling of a toddler.

However, we are first going to start with a heightmap to try to get the terrain roughly right.

I haven't done much with Wilbur outside of working through a couple of tutorials, so a lot of it is trial and error. In addition, I have a very slow old laptop which doesn't process anything particularly quickly, so all of the wilburing may end up being chucked out (which may well end up in even more drawing...Aaaaaaargh!)

Anyway, here is a heightmap to start. This is currently undergoing the tender administrations of Mssr Wilbur... probably for the whole night...

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mar Apr Challenge.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	276.4 KB 
ID:	105645

Looks like a nice height map to start with!

Welcome to the challenge Tonquani.

As i know little about Wilbur I will hold my comments until I know what I am talking about ( Yeah, like that ever stopped me before )

The least painful way that I've found to work with Wilbur is to start with a low-resolution image (250x350 or so, in this case) as suggested in https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=29412 (especially the one towards the bottom of the first page). That way you can spend just a few minutes processing at the coarsest levels and even a higher level shouldn't take too long. The multi-resolution processing like this does lead to some peculiar features, but they aren't normally too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    The least painful way that I've found to work with Wilbur is to start with a low-resolution image (250x350 or so, in this case) as suggested in https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=29412 (especially the one towards the bottom of the first page). That way you can spend just a few minutes processing at the coarsest levels and even a higher level shouldn't take too long. The multi-resolution processing like this does lead to some peculiar features, but they aren't normally too bad.
    Thanks Waldronate. Your input in this is obviously of massive importance to me. I woke up this morning to something which is significantly heading towards what I want, however if I can't get it to work, I'm definitely going to come back to a smaller size image to begin with.

So after several days of fighting with Wilbur, I have come to realise that I just can't make it do what I want it to do (Thanks Waldronate, your suggestion was a huge improvement, however, I just don't understand enough about how Wilbur works right now - however I'll definitely be back).

For now though, we are going to revert to everything being drawn (contours, shading etc) and see where it gets us. I warn you, my drawing skills are severely limited.

I think the biggest problem for me is that at heart I am a perfectionist, so I get really irritated by things that don't look right to my eye. I have put up with it up to now, but just seem to think that my Gimp skills should have come on enough now that I can at least make something half decent. We shall see.

Anyway, the layout has changed a bit as well - it's a bit smaller and simpler seeing as it's all going to be done by and now.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	mar apr contours.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	524.6 KB 
ID:	105776

Guild Expert

It’s looking good Tonquani, you seem to have a knack for these clean modern styles, I’m quickly becoming a big fan of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    It’s looking good Tonquani, you seem to have a knack for these clean modern styles, I’m quickly becoming a big fan of yours.
    Thanks kacey, I really appreciate the compliment! I think it's my point of difference from all of the more arty drawing/illustrating type of maps that lots of people do on here (yourself included - I thought Telvehr was mindbogglingly good!)

Unfortunately the Wilbur experiment didn't work out - lots more figuring things out needed there, but we'll get there eventually.

Latest update on this one - basic contour lines and river lines more or less in place. Now I have to start fighting with the shading...

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	63 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	105782

To everyone out there, any tips on getting really accurate terrain shading would be hugely appreciated. I'm currently working in the dark...

So most of the terrain shading is now substanatially complete. Still not sure what I'm going to do about colouring the terrain, or whether it's possibly going to be snowy, so remain largely dark...

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	61 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	105793

https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...t=33087&page=2 might offer some suggestions for getting shading. See also http://shadedrelief.com/ and http://www.reliefshading.com/ for examples from some professionals.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast