Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mar / April '18 Lite Challenge: Ascension Pass

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...t=33087&page=2 might offer some suggestions for getting shading. See also http://shadedrelief.com/ and http://www.reliefshading.com/ for examples from some professionals.
    Thanks Waldronate, that was exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated!

T

A few little updates, road, border, some text...

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mar apr contours.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	105807

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Tonquani...wow, you did all of the elevation lines by hand?? I struggle with this and was going to ask what program you used, it looks so perfect!

I agree with aeshnidae, Tonquani. Incredible line work. It's looking great, and I love the wood texture you've used for the border! Excited to see the finished product.

Quote Originally Posted by aeshnidae View Post
    Tonquani...wow, you did all of the elevation lines by hand?? I struggle with this and was going to ask what program you used, it looks so perfect!
    Quote Originally Posted by antillies View Post
    I agree with aeshnidae, Tonquani. Incredible line work. It's looking great, and I love the wood texture you've used for the border! Excited to see the finished product.
    Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. Aeshnidae, I'm using Gimp 2.8 - the easiest way to get really good contour lines is to use a very small brush (one or two px) and smooth the stroke - by a fairly high value. This gives a bit of a delay when drawing, but once you're used to it you can do quite a lot with it.

Antillies, the wood border was actually just a gimp fill, but I've replaced it now with more or less what it will be in the finished map (until I change my mind... )

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	mar apr contours.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	3.66 MB 
ID:	105830

I feel a bit foolish now, aha. Yes, that texture is much improved. Coloring looking good too!

Blog Entries

Hi Tonquani, I was looking at your contours and if you want to get an approx 3D height map from contours then I did a little tut on them a while back as part of my bit of country in the guild world. So I took your image and used it to describe the stages and see what it looked like. From a height map I am absolutely sure that you can improve upon it a great deal using wilbur. Anyway, see the link and here are some images of what I messed about with using your contours.

https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...l=1#post296662

I might have interpreted your contour lines incorrectly at the top left - I am not sure. But it was a bit of fun to try it out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Contours_Zebra.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	105831   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Contours_Grey.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	105832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Contours_Height.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	305.8 KB 
ID:	105833   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Height3D.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	105834  

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Hi Tonquani, I was looking at your contours and if you want to get an approx 3D height map from contours then I did a little tut on them a while back as part of my bit of country in the guild world. So I took your image and used it to describe the stages and see what it looked like. From a height map I am absolutely sure that you can improve upon it a great deal using wilbur. Anyway, see the link and here are some images of what I messed about with using your contours.
    Thanks Redrobes, that is probably something that I would have looked at if I had had the time - we will see, I may try to do something with it, but it's good to know for the future.

Latest update, added the title cartouche. Loads more labels and a few other bits and pieces to come.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	mar%20apr%20contours.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	3.59 MB 
ID:	105851

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tonquani View Post
    Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. Aeshnidae, I'm using Gimp 2.8 - the easiest way to get really good contour lines is to use a very small brush (one or two px) and smooth the stroke - by a fairly high value. This gives a bit of a delay when drawing, but once you're used to it you can do quite a lot with it.
    Thanks for the info! I've got Photoshop but translating from Gimp to PS shouldn't be a problem.

Your map is turning out really awesome!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast