Ed Diana of NBOS Software announced today that the new Fractal Mapper 9 program not only will represent considerable improvement over FM8 but also will be available as a full 64-Bit program.

See the announcement:

http://forum.nbos.com/discussion/155...-status#latest

All of the new FM9 features sound good, but the 64-bit announcement is the Viennese whipped cream on top of the coffee (Schlagobers).

My biggest complaint not only about FM8 but also CC3+, Dundjinni and even the new still-in-beta MapForge* is that they reamin on an antiquated Windows XP standard, which denies us use of most of our RAM. I prefer mapping with programs like the above, but all four of them are so antiquated that I end up doing more and more with the 64-bit GIMP instead. When I buy computers with 16, 32 and 64 GM RAM, I somehow don't think it's unreasonable to be able to want to use that RAM.

I have almost no 32-bit software on my machines, the above mapping programs excepted. *I do have all of the named programs. It's good to see that NBOS finally has discovered the 21st century. Unfortunately, both ProFantasy and Battlemap Games have made it clear that a lot of time will pass before CC3 and MapForge make the same journey. Dundjinni already has reached the end of its line, so I expect nothing more there.