Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Fresco of Ausonia

I just dicovered this thread and I'm blown away. The details! The dedication!
    So we all have to wait patiently until this work is finished in about 10 years? I guess if you did a real life fresco in Vatican size it would take you about the same time.

Regarding your question: I honestly don't see any difference between the two versions except that it shows different stages of completion but resolution-wise I can't tell which one is better.

I've just the same feelings than my colleague Jerron. I thrown an eye here and I found out something that I never saw before... A perfect piece of art.
    Well again, same than Jerron, I don't see any difference of resolution between the two pictures.

I'm stunned and impatient to see more of this

Thankyou , the difference isn't actual resolution but size of the features , so I just enlarged mountains etc.

Aaaah! Now that you say it I do see the difference. And I would go with the slightly larger mountains. It is a bit easier and faster for you and in the end you don't actually lose any valuable cartographical information.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hmm. I guess I'd say go with the larger features. Because of your amazing artistic skillz, it doesn't really lose anything, and like you said, it's less confusing zoomed out.

Plus, you'll actually finish it.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

This is awesome! It reminds me a lot of the Skenth and Alrinthia maps by Viking. And it's great to see how you're process works.

I get the trouble with detail vs. workload. Therefore, I agree with diamond.

Quote Originally Posted by Llannagh View Post
    It reminds me a lot of the Skenth and Alrinthia maps by Viking.
    Yes, absolutely! Some of the most awesome work on this site, those ones, so being compared to those is high praise Shame Viking doesn't seem to be around anymore.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Yes, absolutely! Some of the most awesome work on this site, those ones, so being compared to those is high praise Shame Viking doesn't seem to be around anymore.
    I agree with Kellerica. It is awesome work he did, but so is yours, Naima! And it's a shame Viking is not around anymore.

To notch the praise up a bit: your work (same as Viking's) really gets me wanting to create a great map. This style is right up my alley. So thanks for being an inspiration and I hope you won't lose patience as easily as I do!

Also, now after giving it some more thought, I am not sure anymore if I really understand what you're trying to do with the zoomed in version... to me it seems it will just be a smaller portion of the whole map that is shown, which might not really help with the level of detail being too high. But maybe I'm just confused...
    Last edited by Llannagh; 02-01-2019 at 03:46 AM. Reason: proof-reading after posting...

Thankyou for the compliments.

About the style, I take an awfull lot of time to paint those, I like Viking Style and may be in future I will try something more close to it , but I think the one I am after differs from it consistantly , I amtrying to reproduce a sort of brushed look of a Renaissence Fresco , Here is Viking map and here is an original Fresco map and here is mine ....

About the Enlargement , the thing is that if I increase the Size of those features, by simply picking the old painted parts and enlarging them , the result would actually create a less resoluted version of those with more space for detailing , but then I would go back to the same problem of pixels to add even more detail to mountains because the future ones I would paint would have while the ones enlarged kind of would look like a blurred version , Sure I can put in the better sized trees but then those would have to look blurred to match the enlargement ... so still thinking and while I think I keep going with the smaller features one , as I can still enlarge after I guess.

I am also thinking of filling part of the unnecessary Lands like the non peninsula one with some figurative art so to fill space and reduce workload ...

This looks amazing!

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast