Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Fresco of Ausonia

I spent the last days , painting on Ausonia and I must admit that progress is extremely slow, I painted on the smaller scale , and I sadly realized that I would need months of painting most probably to fill the whole map and it might take ages, plus from distance , details aren't really visible ... I had taken the really sad decision to go higher size, scaling up the paints I did and now refixing things around , but that way I almoust completed much more of the peninsula somehow .
    Also this is part of a secondary project painting I have in my mind and if I do not complete the map I cannot procede with the Phase two wich is a scene with the map inside ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	966.3 KB 
ID:	113102

Those mountains are stunning! I don't suppose you could post a close-up/wip so I can try and work out how you did them?

Thankyou .
    Problem is that I keep changing style and dunno if this is visible... some mountains are more detailed others are less, it really depends on how tired I am......

But I guess the main difference with most of other painted shaded mountains is that I make them multichromatic according to possible tetrain type ... like alpine , carsic , sediment , volcanic etc ... but I am not adamant in following my own rule.
    I will post a close up and a new mountain wip made from scratch soon.
    Last edited by Naima; 02-05-2019 at 05:32 AM.

Ok as promised here is a Little animation on how I paint mountains .
    This is a little animation on how I am painting the mountains in the Fresco of Ausonia.
    Its still a wip and not a final image, and its only to show a little the process I am using.
    My goal possibly is to have a painted look that is not "perfect", "precise" or realistic but that get closer to a fresco painting from the Renaissence.
    I hope to have at least get close to the idea.

Name:	paintanimation_by_n_a_i_m_a-dcyy6g6.gif 
Views:	46 
Size:	284.3 KB 
ID:	113107

The way I do is to just brussh over and over colors and tones, with varying degrees of shading plus smudging over ...
    Untill I am more or less fine with the look .
    The colors I am used are in line with the fresco style I am trying to imitate so are a bit desaturated and not extremely brilliant unless specific cases.
    I use several colors and mix them together and I use generally no outlines on the shapes relying on the color contrast to give the shape to the geographical features.

And an enlarged view of the position of this mountain valley in the big map...
    This is just a reduction of the original that is 15000 k .

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	886.9 KB 
ID:	113108
    Last edited by Naima; 02-05-2019 at 10:13 AM.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011