Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fresco of Ausonia

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

For me it's yes, the rosewind must indicate a cardinal point, otherwise it doesn't have much interest Don't fell obliged to follow the rumblines colors conventions too, they were for sailors.

Ok thanks, I was thinking to add alsoother two . perhaps minor rosewinds with simbols of moons, due to the fact that Iimagined this world to have two moons.

Looking good, Naima

The colour palette is great.

Thankyou Mouse.

Here is another update, I am trying to find a "style" and I hope to still be "loyal" to the former one I took for having a final fresco look when I will finish the overal map.
    I am using still the conuntourn lines as background and slowly building up the mountains the region I was doing is a sort of intricate maze like region of mountains and valleys similar to switzerland , I wanted to make them kind of snowy to give the idea of altitude and slowly decreasing the "snow" when I will go further down the peninsula ...
    Still doesn't features woodlans, human settlements or water courses.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p1b0bdi.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	251.4 KB 
ID:	105853

Also is the scale good or is it too small and too "detailed" ?
    Comments and heavy criticism is appreciated .

The drawing is beautiful.

I am having a slight problem with the texture, though. It seems a little too 'blocky', if that's the right word for it. I can see squares in it, which doesn't feel right for plaster.

If you are wanting to re-create the feel of a real fresco, they are painted in water soluble paints on fresh plaster before its even properly dried. The paint sinks into the plaster and becomes a permanent colouring. The texture of a fresco is therefore the texture of the plaster itself, which is probably a lot smoother than you have shown in your test area.

Maybe finding a suitable plain raw plaster texture would mean that all you had to do was add the colour, rather than try to paint texture into the work as you paint?

Its a little difficult to say much about the scale. The scale is whatever you want it to be. Only you can tell if the mountains are too big or too small to go with the size of your land masses

if you mean the under shape , that is a base enlarged from wilbur, I am using it as guideline .

Oooooh, I seeeeee....

Please don't worry about it. It's probably not a problem for most people. I just have a tendency to see patterns in things where most people see nothing at all

It's look phenomenal, Naima! Your mountains are incredible.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Fantastic style ! Show us more !

An update on the painting , Now this its seeming to me like a monumental task at this level of detail , Dunno how much time it will take but if someone should commission me somethinglike that it would surely cost a lot LOL .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fresco_style_work_in_progress_by_n_a_i_m_a-dc6i3ch.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	105916

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast