Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fresco of Ausonia

Thanks ... You have a link ? .

Here is a handpainted Wind rose , I noticed only after that the rays are not perfectly oriented, I already merged layers I did though ... I am not sure if to redo somehow fixing or not worth it ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JTTIR90.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	105770
    Last edited by Naima; 03-23-2018 at 02:46 PM.

I think it depends on whether you want it to have the imprecision of naturalistic or not - there's something to be said for things being a little off.

I found that, for painting mountains and hills in a painterly style (like Viking's work) I had to go over the same thing repeatedly. It looks like you're already doing this, but, generally, start with a quick brush-over for light and dark, then go in again to start defining valleys, then again to start defining ridges and peaks, then again to add details etc. It's tedious and slow work, but the end result - in my opinion - is quite beautiful.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Thanks ... You have a link ? .

Here is a handpainted Wind rose , I noticed only after that the rays are not perfectly oriented, I already merged layers I did though ... I am not sure if to redo somehow fixing or not worth it ...

Name:	JTTIR90.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	105770
    Quote Originally Posted by Deoridhe View Post
    I think it depends on whether you want it to have the imprecision of naturalistic or not - there's something to be said for things being a little off.
    I agree with Deoridhe, perfection is over rated, computers make it too easy. I think it will look better if it's a little off.

Guild Expert

Keep the wind rose, it's beautiful just the way it is.

Thankyou , but I already fixed it lol ... Anyway , Do you have any sugestions on how to put and where to put a Rose Wind? I mean does it have to follow a particular guideline for tracing thelines? ALso how many I should put of them and where ? I see that ancient portolan maps have lots of lines.
    Another problem is that my map is actually a titlted one so the North is not straight at the top but slightly angled ... should I reflect this in the Rose wind rays orientation?

I've noticed that in historical maps, the are put in a circle of 16 around the center of the map which also has one, so that they share the lines (ie the 45 degree line will pass from the NW corner rose through the middle one (which often isn't depicted as an entity) and through the SW corner rose.

Name:	windrosenetworkexampl.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	926.6 KB 
ID:	105810
    Here I appended an example.

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

On ancient portolan nautical charts, rosewinds were usually organised as vertex of an hexadecagon (sometimes two for the biggest maps), the center were placed at a convenience point and not all rosewinds were represented so as not to disturb the reading of the map. On colored maps, rumblines drawed from each rose (16 and later 32) were typically colored as follow : black for the main winds (N, NE, E, SE, S, SO, O, NO), green for half-winds and red for the 16 others quaterwinds. However, as your map is not a strict nautical chart to be used on a ship but an artistic representation as you could see them in books or paintings I think that you can take some liberties and limit yourself with one or two rosewinds and don't feel obliged to draw all the rumblines.
    For the second question I would say yes. The "edge" of those rosewinds usually pointed North or east (Jerusalem)
    Cheers

EDIT : almost ninja'd by Falconius

Thankyou , so I have to tilt the whole rosewind angle and eventual lines?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast