Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Fresco of Ausonia

Making this map is very timeconsuming, but I think I am developing different styles for making mountains at least ... as well as hills etc ...

of course is far from beeing a finished image and I hope to not have taken a step longer than the leg in starting this project ...

Still in this sample image , just basic mountain shading , some are more intense some are less couse I haven't passed on all portions of the image ... still have to add beaches, details, sea wave contourns , river shading , trees and human constructions .

The types of mountains I was thinkin are high mountains like alps, dome mountains ,more rounded, lower middle ones and hills .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fresco_style_work_in_progress_by_n_a_i_m_a-dc6i3ch.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	106462

Oh, Naima... this one looks amazing and could be a whole map by itself and a fantastic piece of art. I just can't believe it's such a tiny part of this _huge_ project ! o_o

Those mountains are just to die for!

One thing that keeps catching my eye is the way you have two river heads leaping over the crest of a ridge before they get to flow down their valley. It may just be an optical illusion? Something to bear in mind is that although streams do occur relatively high up in the mountains, I don't think they would be readily visible, so you could get around that problem by shortening the rivers and making them taper a lot more towards the spring head?

Again - just a couple of ideas.

But I'll say it again - those mountains!

Wow Naima, this is amazing! I always have problems just drawing basic mountains, but you have taken mountains into another dimension! Fantastic!

Have some rep!

Thankyou guys ,too kind ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Those mountains are just to die for!

One thing that keeps catching my eye is the way you have two river heads leaping over the crest of a ridge before they get to flow down their valley. It may just be an optical illusion? Something to bear in mind is that although streams do occur relatively high up in the mountains, I don't think they would be readily visible, so you could get around that problem by shortening the rivers and making them taper a lot more towards the spring head?

Again - just a couple of ideas.

But I'll say it again - those mountains!
    hi mouse for the rivers they are an overlayer so I just didn't work on them to fit with the mountains , well not all of them .

I tend to jump from a place of the map to another when I get tired of a particular thing so I sometimes work on rivers, other times I make mountain sketches , other times I detail mountains, others I go in more detailing the beaches or hills untill I get tired of that particular feature and move on ...

now I would like to get some "ideas" for special geographical features, but I yet didn't get any :p ...

I was also trying to develope the mountain style and now I am not really satisfied by my earlier ones , but thats two days of work and not keen on redoing -_- ...

I will just go on and see what to do later on .

For Woodlands I already got ideas but I have to "invent" something that will allow the underlying hills to still be perceived and not totally covered by vegetation .

For the General composition I have really "big" plans, The Map will just be a wall Fresco , so I will have to draw also all the rest of the Room and stuff around as well as decorations and figures on map, the final composition might become huge in terms of pxls, Shoudl be sort of like a mockup but not realistic , more in a painting style in sort of Renaissence ones.

I was also thinking to put two or three macroviews of some important cities eventually ... Yet to decide wich ones could be ... Since I am adopting a sort of Renaissence age I might go for a sort of Venicelike city , perhaps a Romelike one and a may be something more Fancy or fantasy....
    ears
    If ahnyone has sugestions or wants to give me ideas for features on map or city styles I am all ears ^^ ...

The General Landscape is as evident similar to Italy so its a mix of Folded mountains , Volcanic mountains , Roundy hills and river plains .

It's simply outsanding, Naima. I just love this.

I think Beee "said" it best:

O_O

Put into words: Holy crap!

This looks really good, Naima. This is map-art indeed. Very much looking forward to where this is headed.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

It looks great to me Naima. Definitely like the coloring and the difference between hills and mountains is very easy to see. Going to be interesting watching as you (hopefully) expand on this.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    looks amazing and could be a whole map by itself and a fantastic piece of art.
    Exactly this, Naima. You said you were going to get some inspiration from Viking's maps, but this is way more than just being inspired - this is achieving! Viking is a legend of this Guild and your "oily" hills and mountains ain't any worse than his.

You're there! You're so there..

Wow , guys you are really too kind, didn't expect all those compliments ...

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast