Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City of Newar

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected kosmic dungeon's Avatar

Map City of Newar

Hy everyone. Here is my last City map.
    This one was drawn to celebrate the 500 followers on Twitter.
    I had a lot of fun to draw it, especially the compass.
    What do you think about it guys ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Newar-web.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	221.9 KB 
ID:	96550

Newar

Situated on an island beyond the purple sea, the ancient city of Newar is colorfull and endowed with an impressive cultural diversity. This city is a true open-air market. The spices’ scents and otherfoodstuffs’ scents from the many stalls are mixed with the winds to create intoxicating exotic perfumes. The city bustles with activity during the day and it is pleasant to stroll through the lively streets. Newar is known by merchants from all around the world and the picturesque stories they tell when they return home attract other curious travelers. The influx of these rich merchants quickly stirred up the lust of smugglers and crooks of all kinds. The city takes on a whole different face at night, much darker and it becomes dangerous to walk on the streets at the risk of being stripped. The docks turn into a real cut throat and the most dirty business are planned over there.
    The Jalpexun’s temple dominates the whole city from the top of the hill, this imposing building is the refuge of a thousands years old monastic order. The monks, commonly known as the Pex, have for mission to protect a sumptuous collection of five hundred statues. According to the Pex Holly Scriptures, these statues are the remains of the mighty army of the mage Jalpexun. The legendary hero of the Great War against the Shadows that followed the creation of the world. He controlled this gigantic army of stone warriors thanks to the power of three mystical rings.
    The Holly Scriptures predict the coming of an elect, a sorcerer’s son, having inherited the three Jalpexun’s rings. Only him will be able to understand all the mysteries of the temple and thus enjoy a great power.
    While the world darkens at a crazy speed, the monks desperately wait for the coming of this elect. However, the time is now because the shadows are increasingly menacing and they will be back soon.

You can download a hight quality map on the site at: https://kosmicdungeon.com/newar/
    Last edited by kosmic dungeon; 06-16-2017 at 02:38 AM.
    a blog with a few oldschool pen on paper map
    Blog : https://kosmicdungeon.com/

Thanks FrancescaBaerald! It's always an honor to receive compliments from you.
    Last edited by kosmic dungeon; 06-16-2017 at 03:02 PM.

super cool style, on everything from cliffs to farms and compass
    Open for commissions
    Etsy

Nice map Kosmic Dungeon!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Apprentice Guild Sponsor The_Sleeping_Dragon's Avatar

The map is excellent and inspiring

What is interesting is the housing layout: intentionally chaotic it denotes no single culture or society, would see constant strife but lacks any actual open markets and I assume therefore all trade is down by the docks?
    What is missing perhaps is the warehouse, 'tentings' and covered market complex by dockside for such trade
    What is the impact on households of having no streets in c50% of the town? How does this change social interaction all day not just at night? It is a very unusual housing configuration and suggestive of every house being built individually, no land ownership, and doubtless a wide variety of architectural style. The citadel and temple is impressively dominant
    I think overall I would declutter the housing configuration to the north and create some sort of more streeted housing just simply because houses rarely are built individually and at every angle not least as when that close they share foundations and footings etc. People in such an anarchic town will want their own delineated space so sitting alongside or opposite in curved rows as you have elsewhere, but higgledy-piggledy creates a range of social dilemma that a powerful Temple would clamp down on perhaps?
    I wondered if the large buildings N N E were your warehouses and covered markets and if so they possibly need to be closer to your three quaysides?
    Mine are very minor comments and please feel free to ignore, its just I was trying to understand they type of society that might develop the housing configuration you have and why would they build in such a way (unless topography forces them to?)
    Finally, it looks as if the whole social structure is based on affordability of housing ie there are no camps, caravanades or tentings visible for those who cannot afford housing. Is this a merchant class town without beggars etc that often congregate around ports or has there been a temple clean up of the streets?

The Sleeping Dragon

Thank you AdventureDepot, JosiahVE and The_Sleeping_Dragon. I'm glad you like it.

The_Sleeping_Dragon: ouah ! that is a lot of good questions. I don't think to all of this when I draw. I let the pen run on the paper.
    I imagine the story when the map is finished.
    I will take the time to read and fully understand all of your comment and I'll try to get you answers.
    Last edited by kosmic dungeon; 06-16-2017 at 03:11 PM.

Beautiful drawing, Kosmic

I don't mind the little things that have been pointed out. I just imagine that there's a pleasant subterranean market in an under-street level that was once a huge cavern hewn out of warm coloured sandstone, where the inhabitants used to hide in times of war and strife. The city is, after all, at least a thousand years old, right? That's totally ancient for any city, and more than enough time for lots of unique little things to have developed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Beautiful drawing, Kosmic

I don't mind the little things that have been pointed out. I just imagine that there's a pleasant subterranean market in an under-street level that was once a huge cavern hewn out of warm coloured sandstone, where the inhabitants used to hide in times of war and strife. The city is, after all, at least a thousand years old, right? That's totally ancient for any city, and more than enough time for lots of unique little things to have developed.

Thank you man!
    You're totally right. I really like your idea!
    I like to be evasive in descriptions to leave space for the GM's imagination. After all it's fantasy, so there are obviously many ways to see things.

Lovely work on the map, and I like the worldbuilding too!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast