Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ehlwren

Guild Expert

Default Ehlwren

Just some initial line work for my new project, I wanted to put the little picture I made in my experiment thread into a real map so here's what I have so far. I'm using a thicker brush then I normally do so it's throwing me off a little but I'm trying to get away from the pencil sketch look and make things appear more inky though I'm not sure that's coming across. I'm not too sure about the name, I just grabbed one from the last map I made and dropped a letter so I could give this thread a title, it's the first thing that popped into my head so we'll call it a place holder for now.

I still have allot of line work to do, I'll probably start with hatching in the mountains and then I need to add fine detail lines to the border and inner coast... Hopefully I can keep motivated as there's still so much time to put in before I can even add shading or color.

As always comments and critique are welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ehlwren.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	3.61 MB 
ID:	105672

Great start. Line work is excellent. Look forward to seeing more.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Guild Expert

Thanks damonjynx!

I'm just working on a quick test patch for the mountain shading tonight. I tried some hatching on the shadow side but it didn't feel right so this is where I'm heading... I think. I'll do a better job once I get the colours all sorted out, but I'd love to know you're thoughts...Does this style of shading work with the lines here or am I way off the mark? I was going to try full color on this one, but I'm kind of liking the sepia tones so far. Sorry this is just a quick screen shot, I was feeling lazy.

Name:	shading test.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	105686

I really love the delicate lineart, all in suggestion, and the lovely parchement details you already added on the border !

As the lineart is very light, for me the soft shading you proposed works very well

Guild Expert

Thanks for the feed back MistyBeee, I will definitely go ahead with this style.

I like the sepia but it could be interesting to see it with a sort of Book of Kells vibe with the splashes of bright color where someone got creative. Fantastic little islands and stuff!

Guild Expert

Thanks Deoridhe, I'll keep that in mind, there will definitely be some color at least in the trees, icons and text.

Guild Expert

I got the first pass of Mountain shading done, I still have to go in and do another shadow pass with a darker brown and then two layers of highlights. I also added a background texture, same one I always use, not sure if it's a bit dark maybe and also not sure about the sea colour I'll have to fuss around with those a bit I think.

I know it doesn't look like much changed, but it's about five hours of work, so every pass of Mountain shading is a victory for me and this is the process I go through each time I do a set of mountains.

Name:	first shadow layer.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	6.36 MB 
ID:	105714

That's gonna be another great map, Kacey!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast