Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tamriel

Sorry to press you Misty, but what do you do to "fill in the blank and correct mistakes"? I'm not the greatest at creating patterns and I want to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Sorry to press you Misty, but what do you do to "fill in the blank and correct mistakes"? I'm not the greatest at creating patterns and I want to get better.
    No problem, North (can I call you North ? ^^) !
    I was super hurry this morning and made the tut in 2 minutes. Here is a super crappy new picture with some hint about the last "fill the blank and correct mistakes" step, hoping you'll understand better !
    - "Fill the blank" : once your 4 parts are reorganised, you'll have an empty space in the middle : fill it with new waves.
    - "Correct the mistakes" : once your 4 parts are reorganised, some are conflicting as you can see (blue wave over the yellow one, etc.) : erase the waves where they're conflicting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tamriel_SeamlessPattern_by_MistyBeee.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	241.5 KB 
ID:	106438

If you're interested, I can make a better tutoriel later

I like that mini tutorial. I think I'll try out that technique myself, sometime.

This looks like one of your best maps since joining the CG, MistyBeee. But then, the same could be said about Kingkel...
    And Middle Earth...
    And The War of Resh in Frel & Floris...
    And Valoria...

Jeez, it's all incredible! What is it about France that produces so many great cartographers, eh?

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected joaodafi's Avatar

As a TES fan, thank you for this map, it's beautiful.
    As for the ornaments and miniatures, is it just pure drawing skill and pixel art, or do you have any specific techniques?
    Sorry any grammatical error, I'm better with Portuguese than English.

That's exactly how I used to make seamless patterns

I don't know if this would help at all, but if you use Krita and open a file of the desired tile size, then just hit the W key on your keyboard, it becomes an infinite plane on which you can draw seamlessly without having to cut and paste anything. As you draw you can watch the same line being drawn on all the neighbouring tiles, and when you cross over the edge of the original tile your line is also crossing into the original tile on the opposite side. It can be a bit confusing to start with, but it means you don't have to cut and paste anything.

(and now I feel really bad for saying there's potentially a much easier way to do this )

Totally beautiful map, by the way. I love the way you have done the cities in those circle segments
    Last edited by Mouse; 04-16-2018 at 02:18 PM.

This is really coming along great! With every update it just keeps getting better and better!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I don't know if this would help at all, but if you use Krita and open a file of the desired tile size, then just hit the W key on your keyboard, it becomes an infinite plane on which you can draw seamlessly without having to cut and paste anything. As you draw you can watch the same line being drawn on all the neighbouring tiles, and when you cross over the edge of the original tile your line is also crossing into the original tile on the opposite side. It can be a bit confusing to start with, but it means you don't have to cut and paste anything.

(and now I feel really bad for saying there's potentially a much easier way to do this )
    OK, I just tried the Krita "w" method and you are completely correct...It is beyond easy and I will certainly be looking into using this feature for my own patterning purposes!

Yes, that is helpful actually thanks. And I always like detailed tutorials, but I understand the gist better.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    I like that mini tutorial. I think I'll try out that technique myself, sometime.
    This looks like one of your best maps since joining the CG, MistyBeee. But then, the same could be said about Kingkel...
    And Middle Earth...
    And The War of Resh in Frel & Floris...
    And Valoria...
    Jeez, it's all incredible! What is it about France that produces so many great cartographers, eh?
    Thanks a lot, Wingshaw !! Hope you'll love my next maps too
    This France thing is quite a mystery, isn't it ? Even with all the efforts produced by Diamond, we're still there, again and again :p

Quote Originally Posted by joaodafi View Post
    As a TES fan, thank you for this map, it's beautiful.
    As for the ornaments and miniatures, is it just pure drawing skill and pixel art, or do you have any specific techniques?
    Pixel art
    As far as I can say there is nothing specific : look at the reference, draw the line work, add colors, add lights and shadows. Just drawing and painting
    I know TES fans are exigent so I'm especially happy you love my map ! Don't hesitate to tell me if you spot any mistake !

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    That's exactly how I used to make seamless patterns
    Totally beautiful map, by the way. I love the way you have done the cities in those circle segments
    Hehe, you don't have to feel bad at all and were absolutely right to propose other choices : thousands of map makers, thousands of methods, and I think it's why the Guild is a wonderful place
    I know there is some softwares specifically designed to make seamless patterns (I think I tried some a lonnnng time ago ?) and some softwares like Krita which allows this method too, however I consider them as alternative methods but surely not as easier methods, at least in my case.
    I'm always reluctant to use several drawing softwares for a single map : whatever you do, the pen pressure and general look of your line work would never be exactly the same, and I always try to preserve the best consistency in my line work on my whole map (I must confess I'm pretty compulsive on that point and I tend to use always one unique brush for everything, just as if I would be with a sheet of paper and one pen ^^'). I'm pretty old fashionned on this (or maybe just lazy : I open my Photoshop in the morning, close it in the evening and have no question to ask to myself in the middle : Photoshop can do everything I need ^^).
    Another thing is I never know what will be the size or the shape (square, rectangle, repeting vertically or on a diagonal basis...) of the pattern I'm drawing : I love to just let the pen on the tablet and see what comes, following the natural lines and shapes to see how they want to combine with eachothers and compose the pattern. It's sometimes a surprise, and often for the best. In one word : my method is less authomatic but more flexible and that's why it's my favorite. And... well... I'm a Photoshop user for 18 years now and I think using cut and paste is as natural and easy for me than walking or writing ^^

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    This is really coming along great! With every update it just keeps getting better and better!
    Hehe, thanks a lot, Daniel ! Unfortunately we're near the end on this one, so nothing better to expect

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Yes, that is helpful actually thanks. And I always like detailed tutorials, but I understand the gist better.
    I'm happy if I helped, but don't forget to check the Mouse's method, it's another good one and maybe would fit better your way of work

GREAT !

There's almost too much details and goodness in this map, it's sickening !
    Jokes apart, it's an outstanding piece, and thanks for your little tutorial. Thanks also to Mouse for making me discover new Krita functions .

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast