Thread: Terror of the Deep_Subterranean BattleMap

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Help Terror of the Deep_Subterranean BattleMap

Hi everyone!

I've been trying out new styles lately, so I invested in nice pens and got a map up where there is a chamber of shallow water and a deep end where some lost creature has made its lair.

Okay, I'm busy with the color version and it is turning out nicely, but what I need help with is what I need to place on the map. As I've never played a tabletop RPG but really enjoy listening to stuff like Critical Role, I'm still a little bit in the dark. I've only done a very few battlemaps, and don't really know what objects to place around certain types like this one. I would like to hear what you suggest for this map. Also, I tried a grid for this one, 46x34, is that too big or what is the average?

I want this to be a fun map for people that play these things, so I'm looking forward to your suggestions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terror from the deep_Battlemap_byXCali.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	750.3 KB 
ID:	105709

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

This is my color version so far.

Now, as I said, I'm starting to think about what kind of objects do I need to add to this map to make it a viable underground battlemap. Any suggestions are welcome.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Terror_from_the_Deep_BATTLEMAP_Color1_byXCali.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	105711

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

Vary the terrain a little so it isn't all flat. a slope here, some steps there, here a pit, there a pit, over there a pile of sht. ( I am tired, I'm speaking in rhymes)

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Vary the terrain a little so it isn't all flat. a slope here, some steps there, here a pit, there a pit, over there a pile of sht. ( I am tired, I'm speaking in rhymes)
    I will try that. Thanks for the ideas.
    I've only recently tried experimenting with ink, so it still a bit of a learning school, but it is great fun.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Hi XCali,

Nice map.

A couple of things re RPG Dungeon maps.

Scale: when drawing a map to use in an RPG you have to decide whether the map is going to be an encounter map, a battle map or an overview map. Encounter maps usually use a grid where 1 square = 5 feet or 1.5 metres and can be drawn to any scale, battle maps use the same grid as an encounter map but are drawn at a scale of 1 sq = 1". So a Letter sized sheet would produce a map 8 squares x 11 or 40' x 55'. Overview maps generally use a grid where 1 square = 10 feet and can be drawn at any scale. So your "lake" would roughly be either 100 feet square or 200 feet square...

Dressing: In caverns such as your map, apart from elevation changes which Bogie mentioned above, you could add things such as stalagmites, stalactites, crevasses, collapsed tunnels and so on. In more "built" dungeons, there are numerous traps, wells, trap doors (ceiling & floor), dais', statutes, magic circles, sarcophagi and so on. Google "dungeon symbols or icons" and you'll get a good idea of what's what. Then it's simply a matter of deciding whether you prefer the "old-school" symbols or the more realistic/artistic representations that folk like Bogie produce.

It also helps to think about the size of the creature(s) that may inhabit your dungeon. Smaller than human size it makes no difference. Humans and most monstrous humanoid races are regarded as "Medium" sized which means they take up 1 x 5 foot square on a map. Large creatures take up 4 x 5ft squares, i.e. a 10ft x 10ft area and so on. If you google either "Pathfinder creature sizes" or "D&D creature sizes" you should get a good idea.

But my best advice is; find a game and actually play! You know you want to! It's great fun and you'll get a much better understanding of what's needed for a good RPG map. Also, look at stuff by Mike Schley, Rob Lazzeretti, Doug Kovacs and a heap of others (including many members of the guild) and on this forum in particular, for ideas.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Quote Originally Posted by damonjynx View Post
    Hi XCali,

Nice map.

A couple of things re RPG Dungeon maps.

Scale: when drawing a map to use in an RPG you have to decide whether the map is going to be an encounter map, a battle map or an overview map. Encounter maps usually use a grid where 1 square = 5 feet or 1.5 metres and can be drawn to any scale, battle maps use the same grid as an encounter map but are drawn at a scale of 1 sq = 1". So a Letter sized sheet would produce a map 8 squares x 11 or 40' x 55'. Overview maps generally use a grid where 1 square = 10 feet and can be drawn at any scale. So your "lake" would roughly be either 100 feet square or 200 feet square...

Dressing: In caverns such as your map, apart from elevation changes which Bogie mentioned above, you could add things such as stalagmites, stalactites, crevasses, collapsed tunnels and so on. In more "built" dungeons, there are numerous traps, wells, trap doors (ceiling & floor), dais', statutes, magic circles, sarcophagi and so on. Google "dungeon symbols or icons" and you'll get a good idea of what's what. Then it's simply a matter of deciding whether you prefer the "old-school" symbols or the more realistic/artistic representations that folk like Bogie produce.

It also helps to think about the size of the creature(s) that may inhabit your dungeon. Smaller than human size it makes no difference. Humans and most monstrous humanoid races are regarded as "Medium" sized which means they take up 1 x 5 foot square on a map. Large creatures take up 4 x 5ft squares, i.e. a 10ft x 10ft area and so on. If you google either "Pathfinder creature sizes" or "D&D creature sizes" you should get a good idea.

But my best advice is; find a game and actually play! You know you want to! It's great fun and you'll get a much better understanding of what's needed for a good RPG map. Also, look at stuff by Mike Schley, Rob Lazzeretti, Doug Kovacs and a heap of others (including many members of the guild) and on this forum in particular, for ideas.
    I wanted to say thank you for this. It really is insightful.

Though, I'm still a bit confused over the difference between encounter and battle maps. I have a vague understanding, but not enough to differentiate the two.

(Hehehe. Oh I do! Really man, I want to. My city is just not the place to search for those kind of things, yet. And the internet(capped) we have is shared between a whole family. South Africa is like that. Would you know how much data you burn through to play through a session online?)

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Hi Xcali, you're welcome. The difference between battle maps, encounter & overview maps is that the grid on a battle map is designed to be printed at 1" per square, so an A4 sheet would be 8 squares x 11 squares. With the others you could fit a map of 32x44 squares if use a .25" or 6mm grid on an A4 sheet.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps