Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working on climate step by step

Default Working on climate step by step

After studying the different climate guides here, I've decided to try my hand at (re-)mapping the climate of my setting step by step. To begin with: currents, as well as a general look at the topographic map.

I'm not quite certain about how to adjust the currents in areas where different oceans meet. Any ideas?

Here's maps for pressure during January and July.

If things seem in order, I'll continue by making a wind map.

Guild Apprentice

I think the current layout looks fine, no need to adjust. I always think of them as being like giant circles going round and round the oceans at certain latitudes.

Really nice landmasses too. I like the shapes.

For the January map: it looks pretty good except for the southern continent. Just the part that is overland.
    The closest comparison we have is Antarctica, which is covered by a high pressure system all year long albeit it is weaker during the austral summer.
    The pressure would be high, not low. How high would depend on the temperatures, which is strongly influenced by altitude in the case of Antarctica.
    The tricky part is the temperature inversion. Temperatures at low altitude are actually lower than those above. so if Antarctica was lower, it would be even colder not warmer. The reason is complicated and I can't really explain since I don't fully understand it. But I do know that the inversion is reversed after you reach an altitude over 4000m (an estimation). 4000m being the warmest temperature and the lowest pressure possible.

For July, the general model looks good. You could probably lower the pressure over the north pole. While it is lower than the continent, it is not usually very high unless it is covered with a layer of ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    For the January map: it looks pretty good except for the southern continent. Just the part that is overland.
    The closest comparison we have is Antarctica, which is covered by a high pressure system all year long albeit it is weaker during the austral summer.
    The pressure would be high, not low. How high would depend on the temperatures, which is strongly influenced by altitude in the case of Antarctica.
    The tricky part is the temperature inversion. Temperatures at low altitude are actually lower than those above. so if Antarctica was lower, it would be even colder not warmer. The reason is complicated and I can't really explain since I don't fully understand it. But I do know that the inversion is reversed after you reach an altitude over 4000m (an estimation). 4000m being the warmest temperature and the lowest pressure possible.

For July, the general model looks good. You could probably lower the pressure over the north pole. While it is lower than the continent, it is not usually very high unless it is covered with a layer of ice.
    So I assume that would mean drier summers on the southern continent? That's one thing I'm wondering about, though: on Earth, high-pressure systems over landmasses seem to make east coasts drier in winter while they don't affect the west coasts to the same extent. Yet when I look at the winds on my world, I end up making the west coast of the large continent quite dry in winter as well.

With the proposed modifications (plus a few other slight shifts of pressure systems), here are wind maps.

January:

July:

Precipitation maps based on the above winds and currents. The colours correspond to the following averages:

Red: 2 mm or less.
    Orange: 6 mm.
    Yellow: 15 mm.
    Green: 30 mm.
    Turquoise: 50 mm.
    Blue: 100 mm.
    Dark blue: 180 mm.
    Purple: 260 mm or more.

January:

July:

Since there seems to be no objection to the precipitation, here are the temperature maps.

January:

July:

The temperature are colour-coded as follows:
    Dark red: 35 degrees or higher
    Red: 28 to 35
    Orange: 22 to 28
    Yellow: 18 to 22
    Green: 10 to 18
    Turquoise: 0 to 10
    Blue: -10 to 0
    Dark blue: -25 to -10
    Purple: -38 to -25
    Dark purple: -38 or lower

If there is no objection to these, I will shortly follow up with actual climates.

For the winds map, one thing in particular that I've noticed is the winds blowing from the pole tend to be deflected to the east not to the west.
    Also, in January, the winds from the large continent in the north are also deflected to the east. So you have a "wind corridor" between the pole and the continent. Maybe thee system over the ocean in the west is too strong. In Europe for instance, the pressure is not that low in the winter. Except for places with maritime climate Ireland, Scotland, Norway...

About the precipitations: I see that you used a different scale and colouring. While that is not a bad thing, it makes comparison a tad more complicated.
    And becomes confusing on the temperature map.

We are currently reviewing the precipitation model (albeit very slowly).
    The one we have right now is not really good so I am not really sure what to say about your maps.
    Since this is still the hardest part of the tutorial.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast