Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brush spraying for forests ?

Last edited by Naima; 03-23-2018 at 10:05 AM.

Guild Expert

Too funny, I just came here to suggest the mixer brush. I’ve been actively trying to find the answer to this since you asked the question, but I think the mixer brush could potentially be useful depending on what type of trees you’re doing.

Is this for you’re current hand painted wip? Just curious what type of trees are you doing?

Treething works well when it is set up properly but it's a third party software: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=11361
    And if you ever find my tests with the program, I can't share the trees since it violated a copyright. I only used them for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Too funny, I just came here to suggest the mixer brush. I’ve been actively trying to find the answer to this since you asked the question, but I think the mixer brush could potentially be useful depending on what type of trees you’re doing.

Is this for you’re current hand painted wip? Just curious what type of trees are you doing?

I am actually still thinking of how to make trees, I want them to look surely more painted but also tridimensional in a way so some appearing behind hills or mountains, and some in front of ...

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    Treething works well when it is set up properly but it's a third party software: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=11361
    And if you ever find my tests with the program, I can't share the trees since it violated a copyright. I only used them for testing.
    Interesting ,It allows to make your own custom trees and then add several variations and then use in the tool?

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    It allows to make your own custom trees and then add several variations and then use in the tool?
    I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    You are describing an Image pipeline brush (GIMP terminology).

This video shows how to make them yourself in GIMP. Sorry if you use other software, but I shouldn't think it will be very different to GIMP in the basic method.

People often say they are disappointed with image pipeline brushes, but that's possibly because they don't set them up with enough space between each image.
    The one issue I have with spraying with gimp hoses is for other than top-down trees like the sample provided, you can very easily end up with a messed up z-order for any images with an isometric perspective - so a "more north" tree trunk overlaps the crown of a "more south" tree. This can be managed by keeping jitter down and only stoking top down.

It is also why I ended up writing the Random Density Map script for Gimp years ago.

-Rob A>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12