Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garykia [WIP]

Default Garykia [WIP]

Bonjour mes amis! (Pardon my French)

It's been a long time since I have done a proper WIP thread so I figured I'd do one for a map that I started today.

This is just a personal project and style test. I'm going to try an emulate a 16th or 17th century map style similar to this. And what better place to use for that, than my own world of Hothachar?! This map will focus on the Garykia Kingdom and the City-State Union.

So I started with pulling my Hothachar, ripped bare, into G.Projector and project it in an Equidistant Conic projection. This is what I came up with.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Garykia_WIP_1.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	105720

Then I just traced the original coastlines, nothing that's actually interesting...

Name:	Garykia_WIP_2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	271.9 KB 
ID:	105721

Finally I settled for a texture and added some colour to the land and sea. At this stage the map is already starting to look like something decent, I like to believe (:

Name:	Garykia_WIP_3.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	3.40 MB 
ID:	105722

Next stages are to add an ocean texture of thousands of little dots (jippy...) and laying our the mountains and hills.

As always, let me know your thoughts!

Guild Expert

Looks great so far Daniel, and I hope you'll continue to post process shots like this, it will be really neat to see how you go about creating this style.

Happy to see a WIP from you, Daniel, and I really like this start !

That's always a super interesting style to emulate and I'm eager to see the next developments

(Good luck for the dots : wish you have a super cool audiobook to keep your brain occupied !)

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Looks great so far Daniel, and I hope you'll continue to post process shots like this, it will be really neat to see how you go about creating this style.
    Thank you kacey! Glad you like seeing my process. Normally I work in marathon session, plus I simply forget to post my progress, so my WIPs are usually just a first draft and a final map and then some small tweaks here and there. This time I'm going to try an post regular updates (:

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Happy to see a WIP from you, Daniel, and I really like this start !

That's always a super interesting style to emulate and I'm eager to see the next developments

(Good luck for the dots : wish you have a super cool audiobook to keep your brain occupied !)
    Thanks MistyBeee, I don't have an audiobook, but the Rolling Stones are blasting some nice tunes through my speakers, which is nice too ^^

Here's an update on the ocean pattern

Name:	Garykia_WIP_4.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	105743

This is going to take a while, in the meantime, let me know your thoughts!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

You are insane - in a good way. That looks fantastic. Very authentic.

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Great start ! Colors and textures match very well with the Ortelius style. I am also curious to know how you did the coasts hatches, because I tried to do similar ones by hand in the last lite challenge and it was a real pain

Guild Apprentice

And by lots of dots... you meant lots of dots...

Wow. It's going to look amazing when it's done, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    You are insane - in a good way. That looks fantastic. Very authentic.
    Is there any other way? Thank Diamond!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenia View Post
    Great start ! Colors and textures match very well with the Ortelius style. I am also curious to know how you did the coasts hatches, because I tried to do similar ones by hand in the last lite challenge and it was a real pain
    Thanks Tenia! The coast hatches are actually a texture. I just created a seamless pattern of horizontal lines and put those layers above the ocean, but under the land layer. Then I just remove bit of the pattern with a soft eraser to create the hand drawn effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    And by lots of dots... you meant lots of dots...

Wow. It's going to look amazing when it's done, though!
    Yes, a lot of dots. Thanks!

I sometimes feel we, cartographers, are border insane people but when I look at our end results I forget the "border" and embrace our awesome madness. Keep it up Daniel, we feel each dot with you !

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Arkidemis's Avatar

I can only imagine the amount of hand cramping you have to deal with. I wish you the best of luck in keeping your sanity. Looks fantastic so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast