Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Eyria Map (n00b requesting tips)

Guild Expert

What about moose, I don’t know if you’ve come across one in real life but I have and they are absolutely enormous and they do spend allot of time in marsh lands and swampy areas in Northern Ontario and if standing beside one doesn’t intimidate you then something is very wrong.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Filipe Passos-Coelho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    I think that is definitely feasible that an area could have a surface of mud but fairly solid dirt underneath. I think it is feasible to have an area like that that would be suitable for horses, sort of, but not for men.
    However I don't think such an area would actually be a marsh. Such an area would require a period for things to dry out, so that really only the surface turned to mud whilst there was still a solid layer underneath. So it'd be rather seasonal. and would be fine for everyone at certain periods. To have a permanent marsh or wetland and your riders, you'd need your special creatures.

At least those are my thoughts.
    suitable for horses, not for men is what i am going for, to be honest.
    seasonal, if matching a climate pattern, would work best as well. The Vorfon (these steppes/whatever guys) are constantly rebelling. And they often rebel when the land is harder to traverse. When the weather gets better (warmer summer, drier land), they get their asses whooped, because they lose a significant portion of their "home" advantage. but if the weather is crap for many years, not only they keep their area, they can expand the sphere of influence because, due to the worse terrain conditions that suit them better, they are more of a force to be reckoned with.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    What about moose, I don’t know if you’ve come across one in real life but I have and they are absolutely enormous and they do spend allot of time in marsh lands and swampy areas in Northern Ontario and if standing beside one doesn’t intimidate you then something is very wrong.
    A Moose "screaming" is terrifying, and would be an interesting beast for the Vorfon to tame. they also migrate, which fits the nomadic nature of the Vorfon; have warm fur, which works better than having reptiles as mounts. Good one kacey
    I would like to invite you to visit my fantasy project Tales of Eyria. Looking forward to meeting you and discussing this passion of mine and this vibrant world! www.talesofeyria.wordpress.com
    www.facebook.com/TalesOfEyria/

They could always have domesticated bears . They're pretty good at crossing swamps with their big wide paws.

Also the major sub-arctic bogs (apparently the correct term) are basically all peat bogs, they're not really muddy (see the wikipedia article).

Oh, and btw, horses can do pretty well in marshlands (it's just not their natural habitat), see the Camargue horse.
    Last edited by Charerg; 03-27-2018 at 05:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post
    They could always have domesticated bears . They're pretty good at crossing swamps with their big wide paws.

Also the major sub-arctic bogs (apparently the correct term) are basically all peat bogs, they're not really muddy (see the wikipedia article).

Oh, and btw, horses can do pretty well in marshlands (it's just not their natural habitat), see the Camargue horse.
    domesticated bears sound super badass! but if you own domesticated bears you ride to battle, would you really lose any fight? I reckon most people would **** their pants and run before even firing a volley.
    kiitos Charerg for the update, the bogs work better for this.

fyi, OP updated

Additional challenge if anyone is interested. i have N-O-O-O-O clue what the out of NSWE border areas of Eyria would look like. Who would enjoy scribbling a map for us to use as a discussion point? No strings attached, because Eyria is a massive endeavor as it is can't think of adding even more to it
    Last edited by Filipe Passos-Coelho; 03-27-2018 at 05:59 AM.
    I would like to invite you to visit my fantasy project Tales of Eyria. Looking forward to meeting you and discussing this passion of mine and this vibrant world! www.talesofeyria.wordpress.com

Hey Filipe, I think the sketch by Mistybeee you mentioned in the OP isn't uploaded right. It's the identical file as the biomes map before. Also regarding the bogs/steppe/moose/bear/snakes problem: Have you thought about a kind of high growing steppe grass in the area, being poisonous for humans but harmless for horses (or whatever animals they use)? It'd shift the problem from the type of ground to the flora, if that would make anything easier. The climate/seasons of that region would be still a factor though.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Hey Filipe, I think the sketch by Mistybeee you mentioned in the OP isn't uploaded right. It's the identical file as the biomes map before. Also regarding the bogs/steppe/moose/bear/snakes problem: Have you thought about a kind of high growing steppe grass in the area, being poisonous for humans but harmless for horses (or whatever animals they use)? It'd shift the problem from the type of ground to the flora, if that would make anything easier. The climate/seasons of that region would be still a factor though.
    thats a nice thought, but humans still live there. they may be more resilient to it, but how much is difficult to say. I will entertain that thought and ponder about it, thank you Abu.

map updated

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234