Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maps for a pair of Norse saga novels

Map Maps for a pair of Norse saga novels

Hi folks,

Here are two maps I finished in June and July 2017 for Philippe Arnau, a Canadian author. Philippe is working on a series of novel based on Norse sagas and is a pretty easy client to work with.

It was fun playing with the decoration elements and both maps were pretty good exercices of labeling (hard ones sometimes).

Let me know what you think of those, two more will likely be done later for the same book collection.

© Thomas REY - 2017 - All rights reserved

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final 1.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	522.5 KB 
ID:	105281-----Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final 2.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	517.6 KB 
ID:	105282

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Another couple of really lovely maps here, Thomas!

My favourite part I think is the solid border you've put around the edges. Perfectly suits the maps and is so lovely and bold.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Very cool maps, and you certainly managed to evocate the Norse atmosphere there, Thomas!

I dig that border as well. Very nice work on these Thom!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Great maps Thomas, I get the idea of an unforgiving and barbaric land, which fits with the theme.

Nice work!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Arkidemis's Avatar

I like what you did with the maps, definately feels like its fitting for a norse style world. Great job!

The maps look great!

Unfortunately, however, I personally have some difficulty distinguishing the borders between land and water. I had to study the maps for a while to figure out where that border is. I think my problem is caused by what seem to be contour lines in the areas that seem to be covered by water. If that's what they are, the ambiguities bothering me would go away if the maps could be color coded, but that obviously can't happen.
    Selden

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Another couple of really lovely maps here, Thomas!

My favourite part I think is the solid border you've put around the edges. Perfectly suits the maps and is so lovely and bold.
    Thanks Greg I'm pretty proud of how the border looks. It was a bit long to do, especially the background of the frieze that do not show here, but worth the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    Very cool maps, and you certainly managed to evocate the Norse atmosphere there, Thomas!
    Thanks Sebastian, I wanted it to look cold and B&W is perfect for that. The viking sword and the cartouche are what really sells the atmosphere in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    I dig that border as well. Very nice work on these Thom!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks Tad

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Great maps Thomas, I get the idea of an unforgiving and barbaric land, which fits with the theme.

Nice work!
    Thanks Josiah That's the spirit, our world in the mythic ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkidemis View Post
    I like what you did with the maps, definately feels like its fitting for a norse style world. Great job!
    Thanks Arkidemis

Quote Originally Posted by selden View Post
    The maps look great!

Unfortunately, however, I personally have some difficulty distinguishing the borders between land and water. I had to study the maps for a while to figure out where that border is. I think my problem is caused by what seem to be contour lines in the areas that seem to be covered by water. If that's what they are, the ambiguities bothering me would go away if the maps could be color coded, but that obviously can't happen.
    Thanks selden, and thanks for pointing this out. The map is indeed a bit crowded and the shore waves could have been shown differently. Color always makes representation easier.

Great maps, Thomas! And you've done a great job on these maps! Really had that 'norse' feeling to it (:

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Great maps, Thomas! And you've done a great job on these maps! Really had that 'norse' feeling to it (:
    Thanks Daniel I realize I'm off concerning the Netherlands but it's done.
    Last edited by ThomasR; 03-09-2018 at 03:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast