Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mar / Apr 2018 Lite Challenge: Sosnasib

Wip

So as I mentioned over in Nopkin's thread a few days ago, I've been struggling with a "blah" mood over the last week. It is starting to fade. One of the things coming out of that mood is a sense of dissatisfaction with where this map was going, or, to be more precise, an unhappiness with the way it wasnt quite coming together. As a result of that, I rebooted it this morning with an entirely different approach. Still have a lot of work to do (finishing up river/lake placement and height field editing as well as forest placememt) and it is a somewhat slow process given that I do some work, run a "quick" render in terragen and then repeat the process again and again until things are where I want them, but I am making steady progress. Here is the latest rough version of what I have accomplished so far. It looks a little odd in some places because I haven't done any height field edition yet, but that will com soon...I hope.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018 MALC WIP 101.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	106216
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Wow!

I didn't know Terragen could do that kind of thing.

Very impressive

I echo Mouse's first word. Wow! That's very impressive looking stuff there.

The latest version of terregen is crazy powerful. As I understand it they created the new Universal sequence (stars circling the mountain) piece that we see at the beginning of movies. Can't afford to license that version but I still have a good license for my pre 1.0 version.

And thanks to both mouse and straf for the kind words. So long as my mood doesn't start slipping backwards, I still have a fair chance of getting this done.
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 04-07-2018 at 01:37 PM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Oh wow, that's really different. I like it very much, especially the coastline. The fjords and skerries in the north look amazing!

What the what

I feel like you skipped about 100 generations of human technological advancement between the last two WIP images.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Are you sure you didn't just pop over to a place with fjords and take an aerial photo? Because WHOA that's really something! I've never done anything with height maps. I'm going to search the Guild for a tutorial.

@QED - no, only skipped 98 generations.

@ aeshnidae - actually what I did was take the dem data for the mid western portion of the north american coast, and flood it with another 900 feet of water. It basically wipes out where I grew up and where I now live, and turns a chunk of the cascade mountain range into those fjords and skerries. I suppose you could say I did take a picture though.
    GW

Wip

An update before I take a break from this before my eyes get too twitchy. Added in more rivers/lakes and then started working the northern coast. Also tweaked the render settings to give a better view of that northern coast as well as the existing rivers/lakes. I am of a mind to create a canal in the northern portion of the map as well just to break things up a bit. Figure I have two, maybe three more hours of river/lake editing before I am ready to mess around with the mountains. Not gonna do much to the mountains, mostly a bit of smoothing and blending so that they aren't quite so "saw-toothed."

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	2018 MALC WIP 102.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	106233
    GW

Wip

So, after a bit of sleep and some thought experiments, I got up this morning and decided to test my height field editing process. In general, I was pleased with the results. Took a bit of time, as well to tweak the render settings and try to find a good balance between showing the northern portion of the map along with the rivers/lakes without sacrificing too much of the mountain perspective. Again, generally pleased with the results. So now it will be back to cutting in/editing rivers/lakes, adding in forested areas and, maybe tweaking the textures (not entirely happy with the snow) and coloring before a top end render and labeling.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	2018 MALC WIP 103.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	106247
    GW

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast