Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vaniya

Blog Entries

Thanks guys, I'm glad to be back. Hopefully back to being a regular here.

I've not been active at all for quite a while and some of your names I don't recognize so I just took a look at some of your finished maps albums and I have to say, some of your artwork has just blown me away. Inspirational to say the least and I am sure I will be "homaging" snippets of your styles in my upcoming works. This site has always had a deep well of talent to draw upon but it does appear to be actually bottomless now.

Kelleri: I do believe that's the first time I've ever made anyone squee before, so thanks for that.
    jbgibson: I think I'll copy and paste that answer if anyone pulls me up for cartographical inconsistencies. *thumbsup*
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Guild Member Facebook Connected Ottehcnor's Avatar

With all these glowing recommendations (not to mention what you already have for this map), I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with this!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Kelleri: I do believe that's the first time I've ever made anyone squee before, so thanks for that.
    It was a most heartfelt squee, I assure you!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I have to join into the choir of squeees here Ramah! XD Like others said, i don't even know how many hours i drooled over your wonderful, inspiring maps. The new coastline looks fantastic. I wonder how far north the "Ruhks" will spread? I really enjoy this vast forest on the northern edge of the old map, everytime i look at it. Will follow this thread closely to see it unfold!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Count me in! I'm also a big fan of the original and the redone version. So glad you're back, Ramah.
    (I'm not gonna squee, mainly to avoid shocked gazes ).

When did this happen? I have been mostly out for a couple years myself and now I come back feeling like an old dog that's been lost in the woods only to find another old dog who's been away from home. It does make me happy to see you around Ramah. Looking forward to seeing more awesome stuff from you.

Oh, and I know what you mean with all these new faces. It seems like great stuff just keeps rolling in here at the guild. There is like a mountain of good stuff to catch up on.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd give a quick update and let you know that I'm still working on this but slower than I'd like. For this iteration of the Vaniya map I'm going back to mountain brushes, something I haven't done since the original way back when.
    But working on it revealed quite a few problems with the brushes and my intended workflow. So I'm currrently spending/wasting lots of time in seemingly non-mapping yet essential nuts-and-bolts stuff.

Anyway, as I'm going I'm doing the occasional test piece so I thought I'd share one to show that I haven't gone back into mapping hibernation just yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vaniya_2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	106161

This is at 50% size.
    The mountain placements themselves will change completely - as I say, this is just a test - I'm just trying to lock down range positions etc.

I've also had to completely redo much of the coast/river stuff that I had done for the first post because I was basing it on the original version of the map and not the updated version I did for "Vaniya Redone". So the coast was very wrong in places and I was missing stacks of rivers etc. Tsk!

Anyway, that's all sorted now and much of the mountain brush work is also complete so I will hopefully be able to start updating this a bit more often.

Edit: And hey Jax, nice to see another of the old guard returning to the fold.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Those mountains are already epic!

Yup, what Ilanthar said. Hopefully you'll get the brushes sorted out, since I really like how it looks so far!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Expert

Looks great so far Ramah! Normally I would gripe about the repeats in the mountains but you really can't argue the results here they look gorgeous.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast